Making a remix Mixtape

Always a possibility in the field of sampling. But you don't have to worry about something like that as much as you think, A lot of people do.
If you worried, clearance. Even if you bought a cd like say drake's take care album or keysha cole etc you'd still need a clearance.

Always a possibility in the field of sampling. But you don't have to worry about something like that as much as you think, A lot of people do.
If you worried, clearance. Even if you bought a cd like say drake's take care album or keysha cole etc you'd still need a clearance.

you really shouldn't be giving this advice - just because you have not been sued or you can find examples where the producer has not been sued does not mean that it can't or won't happen - it is as we have said in numerous other threads only a matter of time not a matter of if

releasing material that you do not own is a sure fire recipe to damage your personal wealth

Last edited:
I'm not saying that, there will always be that risk no matter which way I spin it but I'm trying to tell him it is not a certainty. It is broad and confusing to most of us choppers/synth hobbyists. Unpredictable almost.
It's a possible occurrence, but the chances of a company being lenient or full force if they find out makes sampling a puddle ground.
Which in itself, is something he should be aware of beforehand. Sampling is simple, but the information given about things such as copyright/infringement/legal procedures involved will be something to consider.

I'm just telling him it's shaky ground to tread on.

I'm not saying that, there will always be that risk no matter which way I spin it but I'm trying to tell him it is not a certainty. It is broad and confusing to most of us choppers/synth hobbyists. Unpredictable almost.
It's a possible occurrence, but the chances of a company being lenient or full force if they find out makes sampling a puddle ground.
Which in itself, is something he should be aware of beforehand. Sampling is simple, but the information given about things such as copyright/infringement/legal procedures involved will be something to consider.

I'm just telling him it's shaky ground to tread on.

it is not unpredictable, it is the law of any country that has signed up to the Berne Convention on Copyright.

Found it Berne Convention - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That sucks, and us choppers/synth casuals will have to deal with those unfavorable consequences :/
I know it's against the law, they[well hopefully everybody that does it knows too]
The best course of action is to stick to sampling things that are legally obtained through a different license [which means no all rights reserved/some rights reserved unless you want to test luck]
I will take full responsibility for everything I do in regards to sampling, be it drake's take care album or the amen break.

Copyright is punishable, and can very well be the end of everything if anyone ever has the misfortune of getting hit with one of those.
But that's the consequence I might have to take. keisha cole album so dope.

Thanks everyone for respond but my question was not about sampling but about making remix with my beats and someone else vocals like 2 pac , 50 cent ect . Was planning releasing a mixtape with remix i made with my beats and put it out for free download and was wondering if i cant get in trouble doing this if the mixtape get popular or something cause i dont own the copyrights of the acapela . I assume the answer is yes though ...

Thanks everyone for respond but my question was not about sampling but about making remix with my beats and someone else vocals like 2 pac , 50 cent ect . Was planning releasing a mixtape with remix i made with my beats and put it out for free download and was wondering if i cant get in trouble doing this if the mixtape get popular or something cause i dont own the copyrights of the acapela . I assume the answer is yes though ...

Anaujiram, you run the gauntlet everytime that you use samples from work especially if you don't have the copyright license holders clearance. It's kinda like the scene in the deer hunter and your Nick (Christopher Walken) spining the barrel over and over again, click, click, click, BANG - a slow, painful, legal process, that will at the very least ruin you financially. ;) Be smart.

using vocals is still sampling and the same pitfalls await you, as is mentioned at the start of the answers and the final answer above - you cannot release it if you do not own the work or do not own a license to use the sampled part of the work

Back