Making an App for your Music / Merch / Interactive Content

Epsilon-144

Musician and Producer
I have some open source code and stuff that will help in developing an app for my music. I'm just wondering if it will be a good idea.

It'll just be like my website (which is already designed to display different pages depending on whether its a mobile or desktop user). But this is an actual app that people download in the app store. I can link to it from my site, soundcloud, etc for exposure.

Is this a worthwhile investment (in time mainly) to develop this app? I can do it, ...but it will take a good amount of effort and time. I think it would be cool to have all of my music, merch, videos, live streams, etc available through a unique app.

Is it worth it? or is having a website enough?

Last edited:
I believe there are already a few of these available. (No need to reinvent the wheel)

Check codecanyon and I believe reverbnation had one (an app) for artists as well.

Regarding app vs website:

Think about how apps are used.

Would you use one (if you were a music consumer)?

If so, why?

TBH I probably wouldn't unless I could browse multiple artists, etc. But that's just me.

That's why websites make the most sense to me.

And with CMS's like WordPress out there, you can get all the functionality you want with very little time and effort.

$.02

not like a service or anything. Just an App for Epsilon-144 (Epsilon-144 App) that features my stuff, but it'll basically be a repeat of everything on my site so, ...just debating right now.

Wordpress is meh, ..not my favorite. Bots swarm those sites. I have plenty of firewalls, and handwritten software (called the "bot toaster" lol) blocking the bots, but occasionally I can see a few bots trying to access "epsilon144.com/wp-admin" (wordpress admin), because they're trying to crack into the admin of my site, lmao ...but my site isn't wordpress's. It's all built from scratch with a perl database and perl scripts.

so, the wp-admin isn't even there on my site but the bots are hammering away at it, trying to find a way in. Wordpress is a server security disaster. And if you have any important information being stored on the server, the bots can crack through wordpress and get access to it, so it's pretty sketchy.

but ya, thank you brotha. Thanks for the input. It may be worth it for a record label or a collective to have an app, that features new releases, shows, etc. But ya, it may be overkill for an artist. Thanks!

Last edited:
yes, pretty much just like that, except I develop the app for my band/label. I don't want to use somebody else's app that gives me those features. That's too much like Facebook lol I want developer control over it so I can make changes and adjustments necessary.

but those features are pretty much everything I mentioned, ya. Nice find, thanks.

Back