Maintaining Mailing Lists

G

How do you go about it? Meaning you have say 250 people in it and email bi-weekly with tips and samples(snippets) of your production.

How do you get people the respond? Turn them into clients?

People join your list and then what...ou just wait for a buzz? lol

Just curious for how others do it

How do you go about it? Meaning you have say 250 people in it and email bi-weekly with tips and samples(snippets) of your production.

are you on any mailing list like CDbaby??? look at what they do,they have great content and they keep it coming on the regular
mailing list are great sometimes those on your mailing list are only getting it for the information period...redirect your mailing lists articles to your site and use affliate marketing to it's fullest hopefully if they won't buy from you they may buy a product your endorsing through your ad section
where your site sir I like to visit it but it's not listed in your sig.
Re-Engaging Inactive Email Subscribers
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio
Research and Information Gathering Expert

People respond by visiting your website. Eventually, some of the people on your list will become customers; assuming you have an online store.The way to turn people into clients is by providing usable content on a website, owned by you, which provides information and access to your music. Provide the kind of content that improves the quality of your visitors life and keeps them coming back for more. A buzz is not something to wait for, it's something to create. Rather it be on purpose or by mistake, it's something that's created by either you or someone else. Look, there are lots of media resources and tools, including email newletters, used for reaching people who want to be reached by you. Mailchimp, twitter, facebook, flyers, youtube, local tv, newspaper, cable broadcast, and radio just to name a few.

Basically, to be in the music business, you need to work hard and be great at what you do; just like anything else in life. The reason most people never make to the next level is because the expect it to be easy. They try something once or twice and expect to see results; otherwise, they assume the worst. Even when they're wrong, they assume the worst which is why they never go anywhere in this business.

If it where easy, everyone would be successful at it.

Mailing lists are a tough sell. Make sure you set it up as an opt-in situation. I truthfully look at 2/20 mail blasts I get on the regular. I think building trust as a brand is the key before starting your mailouts. Make sure there are plenty of call to actions to gauge response... i.e. click here, visit this link, enter this promo code, etc.

I use Mailchimp which gives me stats on readers, bounce rates, etc. Sign up for Mailchimp or Mad Mimi or a similar service and have a well designed layout for your blast! Don't slack! If you have to higher a graphic designer. Nothing is more lame than all text blasts with a bunch of jibber jabber. Keep it concise and use it to redirect your readers to your site, blog, etc.

Im signed up for a couple companies but they arent music related except BMI. I provide content, tips on mixing, adive on marketing, I've created PDF documents and done a lot to promote not only my material and brand but that of my artists as well. I currently dont have my own site with a domain. I've been drawing sketches and rough drafts for one for awhile now.

JC your are correct. So I suppose the next step (Well I KNOW) my next step is to create my own webpage. As of now my primary target is Twitter & utilizing gmail. I also have a group on Facebook. I collect when artsits ask for beats, then ask if they wish to join my mailing list.

Alkota im going to have to create a webpage first. lol Ive been doing all my emailing off of emails Ive compiled and organized mostly through twitter.

I went through sketch ideas too, when starting out. My first website was designed using Dreamweaver and other Adobe products. Instead of sketching designs, make it easier on yourself by using cms templates, like: joomla, wordpress or drupal. There are tons of free ones you can use, or redesign yourself if you know css and html.

When will you be ready for hosting?

Last edited:
I went through sketch ideas too, when starting out. My first website was designed using Dreamweaver and other Adobe products. Instead of sketching designs, make it easier on yourself by using cms templates, like: joomla, wordpress or drupal. There are tons of free ones you can use, or redesign yourself if you know css and html.

When will you be ready for hosting?

I did wordpress but didnt like it. Also I don't know css or html well enough to write codes. Im ready now honestly, just not that clear as what I NEED, I want to set my site up this summer hopefully. To be my main pg for engineering & show some of my production as well.

I did wordpress but didnt like it. Also I don't know css or html well enough to write codes. Im ready now honestly, just not that clear as what I NEED, I want to set my site up this summer hopefully. To be my main pg for engineering & show some of my production as well.

Obviously, there's more to website ownership than I have time to thread here. Call me at 713-909-0713 if you live the United States and would like to have your questions answered quickly, I go by JC. Website ownership is equivalent to owning and running a store front type business, and I have extensive experience with both. Consultation id free; however, I charge for writing code, website management, article writing, etc. My prices vary based on the your individual needs. We'll need to have one on one discussions before I can give an actual price quote.

On the other hand, there are plenty of youtube and blog tutorials available, should you decide to go the DIY route. Also there's a pretty big learning curve for anyone who doesn't understand css, html, php, or other writing languages. The only question to ask yourself is, "How long should I wait before bringing in online business?"

It's really easy to turn people into clients once on the mailing list... this is if you've done your homework in the beginning by building a well targeted list.

If you are a music producer targeting artists you just can't target artist as a whole that's way to broad you will need to narrow it down to genre (just an example)

I normally have 1 month email a month (main emails) set on auto pilot then i broadcast blast offers such out as i run into them. one thing you'll want to do is always connect with your list. Always offer them a way to make money as well.

If the list is targeted you don't have to do much to make them bite they are already there on the list because they are obviously interested in what you offer..

It wouldn't hurt to have a few different lists as well...

I use Mailchimp which gives me stats on readers, bounce rates, etc. Sign up for Mailchimp or Mad Mimi or a similar service and have a well designed layout for your blast! Don't slack! If you have to higher a graphic designer. Nothing is more lame than all text blasts with a bunch of jibber jabber. Keep it concise and use it to redirect your readers to your site, blog, etc.

Mailchimp is nice.

What comes to the visual look of the blasts, having text only or really simple visual look will be a lot more personal than a complex layout. At least I associate complex email layouts with lots of pictures with "commercial" and webstores, and I immediately feel that the sender is trying to sell me something. Of course, we don't blast people with beat sale things our email demography consists mostly of people who aren't looking for beats to rap to anyways.

We use plain white backgound and add the realeases cover image as we usually only send email when we got a new beat tape or something like that. Less is more when sending emails to mailing lists, too many blasts will result in unsubscribers.

Back