Lord Finesse Sues Mac Miller Over Mix Tape

deanlofts

Cubase Addict
Wow, well this is one thing I never expected to see in hip hop. A common method for up and comers to get noticed may potentially cost Mac Miller a lot of money. I think Finesse is a jerk here, this will also discourage anyone from recording mixtapes in future. What do you think?

Courthouse News Service

His label should have done their due diligence and contacted Lord Finesse prior to dropping the tape. $10 Million is ridiculous. Clearly somebody is jealous of someone's elses success in this situation. Mac Miller had a large budget marketing team and campaign behind the scenes. He wasn't some internet sensation that came out of no where. Lord help us all.

Yeah you are definitely right about the label but really? Mac Miller using that track is giving Finesse props more than anything. I'm still shocked.

This is the music biz. Someone's always getting sampled, yet we spend our time up here arguing about sampling a song for a beat that will to the most get 400 views on youtube.

---------- Post added 07-11-2012 at 04:15 AM ---------- Previous post was 07-10-2012 at 10:04 PM ----------

EDIT: Then i hear the song. They'd be stupid to pay him and more than likely will win in court. At worst, they'd need to work out something with the original composer, not the sampled beat composer.

I wonder if things will come to light and we'll realize Lord Finess never paid for the original samples in his work?

I'm thinking Finess is hoping for a settlement.

Last edited:
damn he's really pullin sole old timer hater shit right there.. but i don't know if it would pull through.. like he did a mixtape and didn't sell it as a single... so there's no direct money from it there... but then there's youtube.. 24 million? those views have ad's accompanied with them so who that ad money is going to should pay finesse

I really see it from both sides and truthfully will just plan on seeing how it pans out. Itll be interesting!

Im actually surprised more of you are not on LF's side. Yes he may be old and disgruntled, yes he may be tryna get a buck. All that aside and you realize Mac used the beat and made an entirely NEW song from it. LF from what I've heard, asked Mac to give him credit on the video on youtube. They agreed to do that and they neglected to do so. Not the first time this has happened with Mac.

Mac Miller confronted about stolen beat and runs away at S.O.B.s NYC (9/8/10) - YouTube

When your biz depends on creativity, stealin' and rippin' shit won't be treated lightly. It's like how comedians will kill over a stolen joke... might mean nuthin to the public but when it's your livelihood, you'll go for the jugular.

I don't know enough about this particular situation, but I will say that this shows that an "agreement" to credit someone doesn't mean much unless you get it in writing. Contract Law 101: A binding contract = Offer + Acceptance + consideration (quick def means someone is giving up something). LF gave up some rights, in exchange accepted Mac's offer to credit him on youtube. If Mac didn't do so, breach of contract, plain and simple.

~Baby B, Esq.
(not intended as legal advice)

Finesse is credited on the mixtape as producer of the song ... from his response to Mac Miller's response, he gripe seems to be the fact that a music video was shot for the song, from an older artists perspective, you don't make music videos for mixtape songs, only official releases ... Finesse acknowledged that mixtape usage of an old beat is understandable but he drew the line at the video ... the reason I say older artists perspective, because everybody does that now, especially with the advanced technology & cheaper prices on videos & equipment, and the state of the industry where mixtapes ARE albums ... I can see both sides, interesting to see how this pans out ... people saying Finesse didn't clear the sample originally in his beat, he may or may not have, sometimes samples are cleared without the credit being displayed in the booklet, but even so, he officially owns the physical master recording to his version, as it was released commercially, and can win based on that, he may get sued later on by Oscar Peterson's representatives, but that's a seperate matter

^^^That's the point, if Finess never cleared the sample, he has no right to his body of work. Even if he did, he has no right to the overall body of work.

That would be like Mac miller trying to sue me for taking Finess' beat and re-rapping his kool aid lyrics over it. Sounds good til it ends up in court.

The big factor is nothing was commercially released. If this goes thru, who's to stop every producer who ever had a beat of theirs reused on a mixtape from sueing? Don Cannon's owed about 40 checks from that "Cannon" beat alone.

Last edited:
ppl have bills so they need money and some will do anything for money
have you heard what ppl talk about in their songs
some of the most disgusting crap ever

but that's just how I see it

others see it as just entertainment

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum
Music Business Professionals Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert