Looking for advice on being heard

J2producing

J2 Productions
Hey everyone, I've have been making music for a little over 2 years now and I feel like I have plateaued. I really only work with local artists and if they aren't local they're some random no name trash rapper. Selling beats to these clients has gotten me over for a little while but I feel like I'm stuck. My social media presence is a little weak but I do post beat pretty regularly. I've heard a lot of stories of producers blowing up after getting a manager and connect with a&r's but is this really the route to go? And if so how do I make these connections? So does anyone have any advice on how to get out there and start building connections and so forth?

Hey everyone, I've have been making music for a little over 2 years now and I feel like I have plateaued. I really only work with local artists and if they aren't local they're some random no name trash rapper. Selling beats to these clients has gotten me over for a little while but I feel like I'm stuck. My social media presence is a little weak but I do post beat pretty regularly. I've heard a lot of stories of producers blowing up after getting a manager and connect with a&r's but is this really the route to go? And if so how do I make these connections? So does anyone have any advice on how to get out there and start building connections and so forth?

Hi there,

well, I am another one of those guys walking the same path. I have been making music since I was 8 and electronic music for 6 years now. For me it was always a hobby, but I have grown a small fan base in this time (actually not really a fanbase, just some followers on diverse platforms). In the past years I realized that this is what I want to be doing, music. However, it's going to be a long and very tough journey. The market is overfilled with producers and musicians and there is barely anything new to be heard.

I have done lots of research and what I can tell you is, that you will have to learn a lot about marketing. First I suggest setting up a bandcamp account, you can directly sell your tracks from there. Then the question is, what kind of music do you make? You say you are making beats or actually making music, singing etc.?

If you make live music, serach for local venues where you can play and start little. If it's just making beats, you will probably need an agressive sales attitude and money to back your campaign. Also search the net, there are tons of tutorials.

In terms of marketing, you have to have a specific idea on who your target audience is going to be, then do some research on this specific group and where you can find those people and who they are.

I know this post probably isn't very helpfull and very general, but there is no simple answer, be creative and try and try and try. I guess consistency is key, just don't give up and don't stop. Hang in there.

marketing really is key. with the over saturation of the market, honestly only the unique will push through the noise. unfortunately, being a great musician really isn't enough on its own anymore. before anything else, develop your brand. if you feel that you've plateaued, maybe it's time to rebrand, start a 'new' project, make sure that you have a comprehensive and unique well-packaged product. and remember, YOU are the product.

Hello JT,

A nice question you are asking there, which is -of course- extremely difficult to answer. It is a question to think really well about.
What most important of all is, is that you are unique. Not just only in your music, but also the person you are. Specifically the artist you are.

Try to see yourself as a product, and develop a brand out of yourself. A catchy artist name, fantastic logo, great artist looks, website style, recognizable sound and visuals would really help.
Then it would definitely help to find a manager. I'm aware that could be really difficult, but it really helps you to look more professional to labels when you've got one. Also when playing at venues having a (tour) manager really makes you stand out. When looking for a manager it is very important to find one with a very broad network within the music industry. Having a good network is so extremely important in this industry.

A good manager could help brining your music to the right person within music labels. Contacting A&Rs without knowing them really is not going to help. I worked at a major, and I can tell you... the amount of CDs and emails they receive a day is incredible. Literally every 2 seconds an email notification would pop up. There is no way you're getting through. A good manager should be able to get through and make A&Rs listen to your music, make deals, and more. But it's not just about knowing the right people. You need to be extremely skilled, professional, have a good attitude, a great brand, and great music before actually even contacting a manager to help you out further.

If you're "plateaud", a manager could help you. But see what you can do yourself first. Do you have a plan? if not: why the **** don't you? Get to work.

Back