LLC, DBA, and PRO breakdown question.

ShawkCityBeats

This is how I understand it-

LLC protects you personally from getting sued.

DBA allows you to have a fictitious name on a bank account.

PRO collects your royalties from radio, tv, performance, ect.

A few questions. If I sign up for a PRO like ASCAP, does that automatically make me my own publishing company or is there much more to it? How soon do I need to register with a PRO? For example, lets say I sell a beat that's going to be used on a mixtape, should I have my PRO in order even though its only a promo release? Or could I wait until I find out if there using it on a official release?

Other than LLC, DBA and PRO, is there anything else I need to consider?

This is how I understand it-

LLC protects you personally from getting sued.

DBA allows you to have a fictitious name on a bank account.

PRO collects your royalties from radio, tv, performance, ect.

A few questions. If I sign up for a PRO like ASCAP, does that automatically make me my own publishing company or is there much more to it? How soon do I need to register with a PRO? For example, lets say I sell a beat that's going to be used on a mixtape, should I have my PRO in order even though its only a promo release? Or could I wait until I find out if there using it on a official release?

Other than LLC, DBA and PRO, is there anything else I need to consider?

If you mention LLC, then you have to also mention LLP, S-Corp., and C-Corp. Sole proprietorships and partnerships could also be thrown in the mix but most serious business folks would opt for the protection of one of the aforementioned business entities.

To answer your questions

1) By default you are your own publisher.
2) Register with your PRO as soon as you can. ASCAP, SESAC, and BMI are the most popular options in the states
3) As soon as the work is released, I would register it with the PRO imho. You never know that mixtape release may start buzzing and get radio play. Having it registered will allow the PRO to track the song so you can get paid.

other things to consider:

Get your copyright paperwork in order.

Make sure your song is also registered with SoundExchange. A lot of people are sleeping on it, but they collect money just like PROs but for a different copyright.

Is there a good estimate as to how much you can get if you're getting radio play. Even if it's on a small station.

A lot of people are sleeping on it, but they collect money just like PROs but for a different copyright.

what does under a different copyright mean, its says on the sound exchange website that "BMI and ASCAP are responsible for collecting performance royalties under a different copyright" then its says sound exchange collects radio, tv, etc royalties and i thought the other 2 already did that.

Back