Linking all of your music together - counting plays

DopeSociety

Okay guys I really am interested in this and haven't seen anything on the forums about it...

My group has songs on soundcloud, we are looking to post a video on youtube later tonight night, and also a mixtape dropping later in the month on datpiff.

Now the fact that these songs wont be in one place makes me cringe. I hate the fact that all my followers and songs arent posted in the same place.

We have a website coming this week and I am going to link all of our songs on there... But how do you guys normally handle this?

Does the counting of plays matter even though they will all be on different websites?
It makes me feel unorganized I guess and like watching stats...

Let me know what you think

Thanks,
Dope society

I typically point people to my website, but I still have songs up on SoundCloud, ReverbNation, YouTube (a couple), and some other places.

You have a point about things being spread out, but I think that's a good thing. If someone searches for you on YouTube, you wanna be there. If someone is browsing through SoundCloud and goes, "Hmm, I wonder if Dope Society has a page - I'll follow it", you better be there, ya know?

Counting plays is straight useless to me. Maybe in the beginning, it was nice to know that someone was actually listening and clicking the links I put out there. But fast-forward 3 years, and I'm back to person-to-person networking, email, dropbox, and more private lanes. Trying to horde plays takes a lot of time, and plays really don't mean anything. If you got like, 25,000 plays overnight on a new song, yeah, you might wanna take a look at that. Means that you did something very good, and people are sharing it. (That's how that band Foster the People got big.. made "Pumped Up Kicks" for kicks, threw it on YouTube, and people fell in love with it.. Dude called his manager like "ummm, I think I may have a hit.. don't know what to do". LOL) But don't waste your time with "12 plays today.. woohoo!" That gets old.

this is where planning comes into play months before you drop your mixtape
your social network should be ready to provide listeners who enjoy all or only one of the many social network sites a chance to hear your music,learn about your group
does your group have a bio written??
does your group have a way to capture email addresses??
does your group plan on have a blog??
who will take care of your social network update??(you should chose one member or hire outside help)
do you have a exact timeline for mixtape release??
what kind of promotion have you done???
have many music blogs have you contacted about your mixtape??
who have you networked with that will have a immediate and long term impact on your group's success
these are a few things I always help my client answer with detail and a way tackle each task in stages that work with their lifestyle and income
you can find out more about me here
my blog also has some great tips for a group ready to take on the world of music business
please don't hesitate to ask more questions around the forum and use your researching skills to find answers and tools for your music venture

making good music is key but if no one knows about that music it doesn't matter how good it is
blessings
-The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio

counting plays is useful however if they are registered with a PRO and you report those plays on weekly/monthly/quarterly basis; PRO's will usually accept self-reporting where there is a method to verify what your report: maximise your income in all areas

Back