Licensing Your Music - Signing Up For Publishing Company

Majestic Mastermind

Eat, Sleep, Breathe MUSIC
I've been looking into licensing companies like Pump Audio and RumbleFish..I read that F.A.Q., to anyone one here that actually uses them, should you register with Ascap/BMI first, then submit music, or let them do it? They could potentially retitle the song and you not get anything if you let them submit to publishing companies right?

Also do you get a notice of what companies used your song so your know where and when your music is played

Does Ascap/BMI copyright your stuff when you submit content to them?

Also, are you in anyway enslaved to these publishing companies as far as where you can play and send your own music? I still own all the copyrights to my music right? They wouldn't be able to tell me where i can play my music or who i can give/sell it to. They are just there to pay me royalties correct?

Thanks for any help

Some of those companies you have to be careful with because you have to sign a contract so make sure you read the contract. I know of two companies that will rename/republish your work which mean you no longer own the publishing. So make sure with what ever company you go with you read the contract otherwise it will be your own fault for not know because ignorance will not help you in court.

what companies rename/republish your work? how do you know this

---------- Post added at 07:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 AM ----------

Dealing with non-exclusive libraries, they say they split the licensing fees up 50/50, but what about publishing royalties? And If i'm correct their supposed to get 50% of royalties for publishing, and you get 50% royalties for being the writer/composer, how if they retitle your work?

Hey Mastermind,
I have experience with music licensing companies. I currently am working with Rumblefish, PumpAudio and Jingle Punks. I've recently started working with some other companies, but it's too soon for me to give any real input on them.

All three of the above mentioned companies will re-title your works if your register with them and are accepted. That's just the way things seem to work in the music licensing business. When they re-title your song they usually just add their initials to the end of the song title. Pump Audio actually send you the publishing royalties that they recieve on behalf of your work. I think Rumblefish keeps them. Jingle punks hasn't done anything for me as far as sales go so I don't know how they handle publisher royalties.

Rumblefish has a great deal with Youtube. You know how Youtube will strip copywritten audio from a video? Well Rumblefish has a deal that let's people license our tracks for use in videos that would normally have the audio taken out for copywrite reasons. The license deals are for small amounts like 2 or 5 dollars, but they add up. My most recent check came on Moday for 800.00 just from Youtube licenses.

Pump Audio does a lot of licenses as well. They deal with big brand names and popular TV shows.
I would highly recommend you join a Performance Rights Organization like BMI or ASCAP. This is where you will get your back end money. I am still getting reccurring royalties from about 20 songs I made years ago. I have gotten a royalty check every quarter for the past 4 or 5 years. When you combine that with the quarterly checks from Rumblefish and the twice a year checks from PumpAudio you can see how money starts to accumulate. I get payments 10 times a year for music that I am getting licensed.
I can't keep track of all of the licenses I've done over the years but some of the networks and tv shows I've licensed with include: Mtv, VH1, BET, Discovery, Fuel TV, Showtime, Bravo, A&E, History Channel, Biography Channel, HGTV, Dew Sports Tour,and more. I've even had a song placed on a video game for the X-Box 360.

Now here's the wack part.
You only get 35% of the license deal. Even companies that say they give you 50% still find a way to add another 15% for administration fees. For some of you that want to be the next superproducer this may sound like a rip off. For me this was ok since, they are constantly licensing the same beats over and over and I don't do anything once I've uploaded the beat. This is money that I otherwise would not get. and I still own the rights to the song, including the publishing. I can take the same song and sell it to anyone I want and not need to give a cut to the licensing company. I do this as a hobby and I'm beyond that stage of holding on to every beat because I think it may be the next club banger. If you want to get into this licensing game then you need to realize what you are agreeing to. If you are a control freak and want to approve every license then this isn't the game for you. I don't see my licensing activity until I get a royalty statement.

Another thing to consider when licensing is the fact that you can't use samples from other songs. You have to own the recordings that you are licensing. If you have other artists on your songs then they too must sign the proper paperwork in order for it to be used. this is why I license my music. I don't collaborate with anyone else , so when it's time to sign the forms, all I have to worry about is me. When the money comes in I only have to pay myself. Once you get other people working on your projects you become responsible for splitting up the money, and that's where it can get messy.

Another question I get asked often is do I send in full songs or instrumentals. I send in instrumentals structured as full songs. Don't just send in a repetitive loop. Give your songs names also. "Track 1" is not a proper name.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Well, said I am going to start getting myself in the same game, I just have to stop with the bull and get it done. Everything I find time I end up working on other projects and it gets pushed to the back burner. It is going to get done this week because I have it written down on my to do list. So now I have to find a company I want to work with as there are so many out there, the company you are with I think just up their percentage as well, I though I read an article about that a month ago.

Yes, a very important thing to remember is that there is about a one year delay before you will see any real results. The longer it takes you to send in music, the longer it will take to get reviewed and accepteed then shopped and licensed, then paid to you.

Also, don't just choose one company, get on with as many as you can. The paperwork is a pain, but the more companies you have shopping your material, the more checks you can potentially get.

I though someone of them you are not allowed to use the same beats you used on one site is that correct?

It depends on the specific company that you are using. I haven't come across anything that forbids it. I really can't see it being a problem since these companies will license your same beat over and over again to different clients.

---------- Post added 08-18-2011 at 01:44 PM ---------- Previous post was 08-17-2011 at 07:49 PM ----------

There is another company called splother.com. I set up an account with them two weeks ago. I like their artists webpage the best. Here's the link to mine.
http://splother.com/logistical-styles

Last edited:
One last question,

Say for example my original work is called "Golden Sun" the licensing company retitles it to "LS - Golden Sun" How can i keep the writers share if all the royalties are being paid to "LS - Golden Sun" their retitled version of my work, how is my PRO going to pay me if the work that's being used is LS - Golden Sun and not the original Golden Sun! It's two different titles..this is my last question

Even if they retitle it you still get the writer's share. When they retitle the song you will see it in your BMI catalog. The song is still credited to you as the writer. The publisher's share is what gets sent to the licensing company. This is where it gets tricky. I've asked Pump Audio how they handle the publishing royalties and they do actually send those to the songwriter. I was able to check my royalty statement from them and I can see where they do that. I still need to contact Rumblefish to see what thier policy is. I assume that they keep the publishers share.

One last question,

Say for example my original work is called "Golden Sun" the licensing company retitles it to "LS - Golden Sun" How can i keep the writers share if all the royalties are being paid to "LS - Golden Sun" their retitled version of my work, how is my PRO going to pay me if the work that's being used is LS - Golden Sun and not the original Golden Sun! It's two different titles..this is my last question

Hey, how do I submit music to rumblefish, I cant find the link on their site

---------- Post added at 01:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 PM ----------

And Logistical you use BMI right? I was about to signup for ASCAP but minors have to send in paper applications which are 75 dollars

It looks like they are overwhelmed with music at the moment. Here's the link:
Rumblefish Music Licensing Store: online music licensing for TV, film, video games, podcasts, and more

Yeah, I'm with BMI. It was free when I signed up years ago. I think it still is. I know ASCAP is 35 for online applications for adults. I didn't know that about minors though. I'm signed up with BMI as a writer. I've been contemplating joining with ASCAP as a publisher to see what kind of difference that makes. I've read somewhere online that ASCAP actually pays more than BMI. I'd like to know how true that is.

Last edited:
^^^ Doesn't mater now, we're both signed up with BMI lol

thanks for all the useful info though

I think ASCAP and BMI are really just the same, people say good and bad about both

f**k it, let's just get paid for our work

great post,questions, and answers...
when I get my website up I'm going to start doing tutorials on this kind of stuff as I do it myself so you can see real experience on video ....
this way ppl aren't scared and know what to do step by step..
some tutorials will be free some and some will have a small..small fee for the business Consulting....to build my resume ...look out for me..this is why it's good to get a ent.lawyer as well.. I'm going to do a tutuorial on that...
some things can be done diy way w/some research and some hard work.... but business consulting can be a powerful thing for your career and production business as whole.....

How do you like working with ASCAP and do you also work with BMI? I think I remember reading somewhere you have a pretty thorough catalog of licensed music.

you don't really "work" with these companies. And you can only be signed up to one at a time.

you don't really "work" with these companies. And you can only be signed up to one at a time.

True. I am with ASCAP as a writer and a publisher. Basically, this company collects and pays out royalties for when my music is used in TV shows. I don't sell beats to artists because I think it takes too much effort and pays too little money.

Back