Licensing (synch) through 3rd party Agencies - Common Rates?

db2

I was wondering if people could share their experience with licensing their music through agencies for synch. I've seen rates go anywhere from 60% to 35%. I've heard some people griping about 35% while others are saying the old "35% of something, better than 100% of nothing" type deal. I've currently been getting some work from some licensors, but it's been on that low end of the scale.

I'm curious to hear other peoples opinions on these rates/agencies and their own experiences.

Most companies will do a 50/50 split very few will take anything more or less. I'm talking about the popular companies. I personally don't have an issue with that because it's all non exclusive (so i can continue shopping the music). Smallest check I've ever gotten is $7,000

50/50, 40/60. They will re title your stuff too. Definite sad face on retitling, but go for it. It all adds up and is passive income.

I like MusicDealers.com they are 50/50 and you get everything on the back end, most of their deals are also non-exclusive.

Typically, a synchronization license is issued by your publisher. However, these days there are quite a few outlets for composers (beat makers) to essentially be their own publisher. If you sell your own beat, write your own license agreement, administrate your own license records, and handle your own transaction... such as producers who sell through Soundclick or their own website... then you would be getting 100% of the cut.

However, if you have some sort of a publisher who is finding placements for your music, writing the licensing agreements, administrating the records, and handling the transaction... then they will be needing a share of that licensing fee in order to render those services. A standard music publishing deal would split the money 50/50 as cyko and pboy mentioned. But you do have alternatives. Beat Brokerz for example, is a pseudo music publisher who will take care of those aspects of the music business for you and let's you keep as much as 80% of the licensing fees.

Just remember, it takes money to make money. The good part of it is, with a music publisher, you don't have to pay that money up front. You can lean on their expertise and resources to get further in the business!

Last edited:
I like MusicDealers.com they are 50/50 and you get everything on the back end, most of their deals are also non-exclusive.

have you had great success with this company???

thanks for you experience response in advance

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum
Music Business Professionals Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

Typically, a synchronization license is issued by your publisher. However, these days there are quite a few outlets for composers (beat makers) to essentially be their own publisher. If you sell your own beat, write your own license agreement, administrate your own license records, and handle your own transaction... such as producers who sell through Soundclick or their own website... then you would be getting 100% of the cut.

However, if you have some sort of a publisher who is finding placements for your music, writing the licensing agreements, administrating the records, and handling the transaction... then they will be needing a share of that licensing fee in order to render those services. A standard music publishing deal would split the money 50/50 as cyko and pboy mentioned. But you do have alternatives. Beat Brokerz for example, is a pseudo music publisher who will take care of those aspects of the music business for you and let's you keep as much as 80% of the licensing fees.

Just remember, it takes money to make money. The good part of it is, with a music publisher, you don't have to pay that money up front. You can lean on their expertise and resources to get further in the business!

You're absolutely right. But i might add that can get 80% of the licensing fee yes but whomever the Publisher is will get 50% of the public performance royalty too when dealing with sync licensing. Best to sign up with a PRO as a Publisher & a Songwriter/Composer. That way once you start getting popular and gaining placements, you can co-publish with larger Publishers and they'll only get 25% of the cut or whatever you can get them to agree on. That will leave you 75% of the actual performance royalty. 50% songwriter/composer side - 25% publishers side (when co-publishing with a major or larger publisher).

Back