Licensing sample based music with Performance Rights Organizations, Ye or Nae?

MuurKaNāga¹³

Melanin Magik Musik 13™
*lol I know I said licensing in the title, but I meant registering. I'm still new 2 this whole business side of music lolll

Greetings cuzzins, I just want 2 have your opinions on registering non cleared sample base music with PROs.

Would it be wise 2 do so? Would they even allow it? What are the risks if they do allow it?

I know getting sample clearance is one of the biggest hassle of any sample based producer, but @ the same time, I know that these lawyers only go after the big fishes and wouldn't really waste their time with small independent producers like myself.

On the other hand, when you start dealing with PROs, you really starting 2 get in the real music business world and, for the most part, have 2 comply with the different rules and regulations.

What do you guy think??

**So I just talked 2 a SOCAN representative and she basically told me if I registered a sampled based song with them I would have 2 get written permission from the publisher of the sampled song and send it 2 them. But she also told me that I could register the song as a song with no samples, but that would be @ my own risk...

Last edited:
MuurKaNāga¹³;49973757 said:
Would it be wise 2 do so? Would they even allow it? What are the risks if they do allow it?

No, it's not wise. When you do this, you open yourself up for sharks. The best thing to do is is drop the sample, hopefully the whole beat isn't the sample and register your original work.

I know getting sample clearance is one of the biggest hassle of any sample based producer, but @ the same time, I know that these lawyers only go after the big fishes and wouldn't really waste their time with small independent producers like myself.

Actually, this is a big misconception, you don't have to be big time in order to be sued. People like you are shutdown and sued quite often. It just depends on if they want to come after you or not.

**So I just talked 2 a SOCAN representative and she basically told me if I registered a sampled based song with them I would have 2 get written permission from the publisher of the sampled song and send it 2 them. But she also told me that I could register the song as a song with no samples, but that would be @ my own risk...

There would be no risk registering your own material, that's basically what she's advised

I appreciate the advices. But since a lot of my beats are sample based, there would be no song if I dropped the samples lolll. But ok so what if they sue me, how much they gonna sue me 4? It's not like I'm making millions... Also if they just tell me 2 stop the distribution of the song, than I'm cool with that. Another, what if I put in my contract with an artist that clearing the sample would be his responsibility, would that cover my back?

MuurKaNāga¹³;49978210 said:
I appreciate the advices. But since a lot of my beats are sample based, there would be no song if I dropped the samples lolll. But ok so what if they sue me, how much they gonna sue me 4? It's not like I'm making millions... Also if they just tell me 2 stop the distribution of the song, than I'm cool with that. Another, what if I put in my contract with an artist that clearing the sample would be his responsibility, would that cover my back?

It depends on them to be honest. Generally copyright infringement is punishable starting at $100,000 and that's just for starters. If you don't have the money that's quite alright. No collected by other means; your car, your home, garnishing your check, you'll be indebted to you pay it off people think this is a joke but it happens.

If you put in a contract that clearing the sample is the artist responsibility that's fine because it does put clearing the sample on them but it doesn't allow you to do anything with the track aside from sell it with that contingency.

Some lawyers are slick enough to even get around that so just be careful

Back