Is it legal to register a copyright on a song containing a sample?

It's complicated. You'd have to make the sample basically unrecognizable and even then it's not a guarantee. It's almost always better to seek permission to get rid of any chance of lawsuit. Also a lot of copyright owners won't give permission to unsigned or small artists, and if you do go for permission remember that you have to pay/ask the artist, the label, and anyone else who owns part of the copyright. Good luck, man.

You always have to clear the sample. It don't matter if you speed up or slow down the sample like people will make you believe. It is very hard to clear a sample with the original copyright holder if you are just a small time producer.

You always have to clear the sample. It don't matter if you speed up or slow down the sample like people will make you believe. It is very hard to clear a sample with the original copyright holder if you are just a small time producer.

no mater what you do it has to be cleared unless you have tools that allows you to change notes. Just that tease of a tip should get you to start thinking what I am speaking about but then everyone would do it. I have a tool that I use to help me and you can then use it because it is not the original sample.

If you can replay the sample as well because then you are not sampling and it falls under something different, I do believe just performance not sample.

Back