Legal Ramifications for Remixing an Album

Prosthetic

The One-Armed Bastard
Sup FP. Been a minute since I posted here. Happy to see this board still booming.

If I were to remix an album done by a popular artist, make it 100% free with no revenue from the release itself, advertising, and etc., could there still be legal consequences if it were to become popular? The popular answer may be no, but I'm just making sure. I still remember the fiasco with Danger Mouse and The Grey Album like it was yesterday lol.

well bill withers is apparently suing kendrick lamar for a sample for a song that he released for free back around 2013. so just be mindful about who album you plan on remixing. maybe you could use it under the creative commons license and release it that way.

Sup FP. Been a minute since I posted here. Happy to see this board still booming.

If I were to remix an album done by a popular artist, make it 100% free with no revenue from the release itself, advertising, and etc., could there still be legal consequences if it were to become popular? The popular answer may be no, but I'm just making sure. I still remember the fiasco with Danger Mouse and The Grey Album like it was yesterday lol.

The answer is "YES".

Your album could flop and you could still be sued. Don't f*ck around just for fame. If you are going to take a risk like that, you should be getting enough money to settle any lawsuit that may arise. Otherwise, you are working for free in order to pay someone else's bills.

Stop being stupid and create something original that people actually want to hear. Your remix will be forgotten by the masses and possibly remembered by the people who can sue you into bankruptcy.

SMH @ people working to steal other people's work to make no money and possibly lose money. You guys are focused on the wrong things. You are not going to "blow up". You are going to flop. Plus you are going to steal someone else's music who can then sue you and make all of the money off of the remixes you did, leaving you broke and unknown.

Shameful.

Last edited:
You should always try to get some sort of written permission (even a tweet to the original artist) to make sure it's okay

Back