Legal Question / co-producing and co-writing with a producer?

MadReaper

Hi there!

I'm currently studying music production and will start soon the legal side of the industry. This week I'm meeting up with a contact who has a roster of producers and such. My question is this: How does it work when I want to approach a producer/ production team to write songs with them? I would be co-producing and co-writing. What kind of deals exist for that sort of arrangement? I would be hiring them in a sense

Off-topic: Also, I know of a lot of cases where songwriters/artists simply write with the producers/production team, and I don't think the producers charge anything by the hour- they just write and write- as if it was a songwriting team.

All advice, feedback, and answers are appreciated!
Thank you!!

You can come up with any kind of arrangement you want and that both parties agree to. The important part is to get it _in writing_ and get it _signed_!!!!

Important note-- historically, "co-producer" is not a royalty-bearing credit, so you'll want to be listed as a producer along with the other producer(s), and/or as a songwriter/co-writer as far as album credits go.

GJ

Off-topic: Also, I know of a lot of cases where songwriters/artists simply write with the producers/production team, and I don't think the producers charge anything by the hour- they just write and write- as if it was a songwriting team.

All advice, feedback, and answers are appreciated!
Thank you!!

It really depends on you and the team you hire. I charge $500 hourly before splits and royalties. Other contracts I've had with companies required them to pay me a weekly until work was complete, that was of course an advance on the negotiated cost of production. Some don't mind working until you're able to place them, others aren't.

The beauty of negotiating and working contracts.

Back