Legal Issues When Selling Beats

J90

Producer
Hey guys I have a question about selling/leasing a beat. Lets say I have a beat on my website and several artists buy a lease for this beat for 20 dollars, then an artist from a big label comes along and wants it exclusively. Can it not be sold due to other artists leasing the beat? Will leasing out beats make big labels who want them exclusively not buy them??

they leased the beat you didn't sell your rights to the beat away and usually any producer's lease states that in the contract that's why you can lease the beat to a million artists,yes I said a million,trillion,quad-zillion artists
but once you sell exclusive you sell once,you can sell all rights to the beat or you can keep the rights for hopefully backend revenue from song/album sells,song played on tv shows/film/radio

and register your copyrights your instrumentals best to do them in bundle as(you have a copyright as soon as you make the beat)
you must register your copyright to protect yourself
U.S. Copyright Office - Online Services (eCO: Electronic Copyright Office)
U.S. Copyright Office - eCO Frequently Asked Questions

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum
Music Business Professionals Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

You can sell a lease as much as you want. Once the artist purchases a beat exclusively they must abide by and respect your exclusive rights contract which can say whatever you want.

Some contracts have it in the case that if someone buys an exclusive, the people who bought the lease can still use the lease. It all depends on you, and the leasing/exclusive contract that YOU make up. There's always negotiation and compromise but for now, let's just say you make the rules.

You can sell a lease as much as you want. Once the artist purchases a beat exclusively they must abide by and respect your exclusive rights contract which can say whatever you want.

Some contracts have it in the case that if someone buys an exclusive, the people who bought the lease can still use the lease. It all depends on you, and the leasing/exclusive contract that YOU make up. There's always negotiation and compromise but for now, let's just say you make the rules.

Yeah, it's all down to what your contract states.

Back