legal and contract information for selling beats

jdsinn209

Hi I have been producing musically digitally for years now. But I want to start making money and I need to know how to go about making contracts for beats, how/what do I copyright to get credit for my music?

I would recomend digital signing because it's a sure-fire legally binding way of establishing agreement. Adobe Echosign is a site that let's you send out contracts to sign digitally. They charge $15/ month but they let you send like 10 or so for free each month. Send the contract and Paypal invoice or whatever your payment processor is, at the same time. Once you get the money, then send the mp3. After that it's just a matter of them signing the contract and sending it back, which Adobe echosign handles for you.

I would recomend digital signing because it's a sure-fire legally binding way of establishing agreement. Adobe Echosign is a site that let's you send out contracts to sign digitally. They charge $15/ month but they let you send like 10 or so for free each month. Send the contract and Paypal invoice or whatever your payment processor is, at the same time. Once you get the money, then send the mp3. After that it's just a matter of them signing the contract and sending it back, which Adobe echosign handles for you.

Or you could do it with some old fashioned paper, envelope and stamp!

Hi I have been producing musically digitally for years now. But I want to start making money and I need to know how to go about making contracts for beats, how/what do I copyright to get credit for my music?

First things first. Register the copyright to your music.
(There are plenty of threads on FP with links on how to do so - so use the search)

Now, when it comes to drafting a contract there are 3 things that you can do:

1. Draft one yourself.
2. Copy / buy someone else's
3. Pay a lawyer to draft one for you.

The ironic thing about number 3 is that the lawyer will probably ask you "so, what do you want it to say?" lol so it really boils down to knowing what you want and knowing what you are entitled to. With that said, I'd read up on the common licensing types in music (eg: sync, performance, etc.) as this will help you draft a better document. So maybe that should be your second step....

Ideally you are gonna want your contract to be mutually beneficial while protecting your interests and allowing you to still have some control over your music.

Good luck.

Back