leasing rights

MusicBusiness

my question is can you sell a beat for leasing rights to more than one person and get royalties from all of them? I know most people that lease beats don't get royalties and the standard contracts that producers use on SC says they aren't owed any if you buy leasing rights or exclusive which I think is dumb you should get a 50/50 split...

I can tell you now it is a waste of time and effort trying to get royalties for all your beats..

It's just too much hassle on both the buyer and the sellers end. Copyrighting all your beats, doing splitsheets, cue sheets and long contracts, registering them with PRO's..especially if you make a lot of beats..There's just too much music for this and a lot of bigger companies are looking to just buy the license to use the music straight from the artist.

It's a much, simpler, cleaner, and faster process for all of us to just sell your music to your clients for a single fee and be credited for it

If you sell a lease, most people wont allow you to take royalties. For example, my leasing rights ($20) will not allow you to put a lease on an album, therefore, it is not possible for me to earn royalties, but alternatively, I do expect to earn royalties from my exclusive rights sales, because nearly all rights transfer with those sales

---------- Post added at 09:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 PM ----------

And also, performance rights organizations such as ASCAP. BMI, and SESAC will collect your royalties for you, so you dont have to worry about keeping track of how many sales each of your clients makes on each of your beats. Services like SoundScan will monitor your radio airplay of your beats as well. These are all industry standard services too

If you sell a lease, most people wont allow you to take royalties. For example, my leasing rights ($20) will not allow you to put a lease on an album, therefore, it is not possible for me to earn royalties, but alternatively, I do expect to earn royalties from my exclusive rights sales, because nearly all rights transfer with those sales

I have an entirely different experience with that. I just depends on how you craft that contract and the type of people you're conducting business with.

Back