Leasing beats & iTunes sales.

G

I leased a beat to an artist some time ago, now the song is on iTunes for sale on an album. Also there is no credit saying "Prod. by" alongside the song or cover and the tag was cut out so the song starts at the middle.

Its copyrighted of course but all of this is wrong. Any advice?

Yes I did. Non-proftable lease like any other lease really. And it was handled but you don't know what format it will be used on. I didn't assume anything. I just know that I have that particular contract signed and that now the album is on iTunes for $10. Its not a huge artist nor do I expect that a large sum of money will be made from it but I do rely heavy on principle.

Sounds like a problem to me when the lease was for non-profit and the artist is clearly making a profit, I would contact him/her immediately

Yes I did. Non-proftable lease like any other lease really. And it was handled but you don't know what format it will be used on. I didn't assume anything. I just know that I have that particular contract signed and that now the album is on iTunes for $10. Its not a huge artist nor do I expect that a large sum of money will be made from it but I do rely heavy on principle.

If you want to pursue it, get your lawyer to contact them informing them that they are breaking the terms that they agreed to in your contract.

Yeah, you should definitely contact him about that. Make sure in your leasing, free/non-profit, and exclusive rights you state that all credit should be given to the producer.

I'm not surprised he did that, though. I once met a talented group of rappers and singers that wanted to work with me and the moment they asked me for free beats I said I rarely do this but since you guys have real talent I'll give you a free beat if you put "(Prod. by DAH Trump)" on the title of all your recordings using my beats. I never heard from them since.

One thing some people don't understand is that when they put "(Prod. by YOUR Producer Name)" it not only gives credit to the producer but it allows the producers fans to find the artist using the producer's beat. This gives more promo to the artist, but the poor artist doesn't understand that. It's like putting "Prod. by Johnny Juliano"... Tell me that wouldn't boost your views/listens by just a little bit :p

Last edited:
Yeah, you should definitely contact him about that. Make sure in your leasing, free/non-profit, and exclusive rights you state that all credit should be given to the producer.

I'm not surprised he did that, though. I once met a talented group of rappers and singers that wanted to work with me and the moment they asked me for free beats I said I rarely do this but since you guys have real talent I'll give you a free beat if you put "(Prod. by DAH Trump)" on the title of all your recordings using my beats. I never heard from them since.

One thing some people don't understand is that when they put "(Prod. by YOUR Producer Name)" it not only gives credit to the producer but it allows the producers fans to find the artist using the producer's beat. This gives more promo to the artist, but the poor artist doesn't understand that. It's like putting "Prod. by Johnny Juliano"... Tell me that wouldn't boost your views/listens by just a little bit :p

tell artists that I make sure I describe all the ways the artists can sell and get more visibility from working with me if I was the producer I would even tell them I will help promote their song(s)/EP on my site and my youtube channel,my social networking etc...
telling them more promo for you is more promo for them
and visa versa
once you explain this to the artist only a idiot artist would turn that down...
and you will get idiots

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum
Music Business Professionals Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

Always make sure when you lease a beat send the license with the beat if you did that then you can get what u deserve.
2themillbeats.com - Buy Beats Online| Beats For Sale | Hip Hop Beats | Rap Instrumentals

you mean the send your contract with the terms to the lease with the beat
most instant delivery services offer this and you're right Hector
needs to be done and easy to setup with isbn or myflashstore
or when you do it manually

and I suggest having your terms of your leases in plain view on your site

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum
Music Business Professionals Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

Alright, let's take it up the chain of command before involving lawyers.

Talk to him directly and try to resolve it.

If that fails you can actually contact iTunes and let them know that there is music being sold on their network illegally. They will take it very seriously and put an end to all of this.

Usually it doesn't list who produced the track on iTunes. I doubt the artist is making enough money off the song to justify pursuing it legally (just a hunch), but definitely contact him and let him know whats up. IMO if you haven't been beat jacked, or jerked around more than 10 times you are doing something wrong. This has happened to me NUMEROUS TIMES.

I recently had someone jack a beat off my website (tagged throughout), make a song with it, shoot a video and then the dude contacts me and asks for the beat "untagged". I replied with a simple... "Whats your budget for the beat?" and never heard back.

Brush it off and keep making some bangers

Appreciate all you guys input. I contacted the party and we are still negotiating terms. But this is why I despise leases and stopped doing them. Its to lean. There is no point for me to take legal action as the money put into it would not come back out. What I say is that if you don't specify terms to the Tee then it can blow up in your face. But its apart of the game and a learning experience.

Before you get any attorneys involved just do a cease & desist on it to iTunes. Every music website has a DMCA policy. Use it to your advantage and save some money.

Back