Leases/Exclusives/Budgets & working with them.

G

Alright I've read so many articles, books and spoken to people not in the industry and those that are in the industry. Some say go ahead and lease and get your money's worth considering a lot of these artists will ruin your creation or even if they do make a great song they dont know how to effectively market/promote it.

Another side says DONT do leases at all. Sell exclusives or they wont get it. period. If I sell the same beat 10 times leased to people and then 1 person wants to buy it exclusively who has the say in there rights?

Budgets. Do you work with them? Or do you have a set fee. Say you engineer for $40/hr. Do you change this at any time for budgets? DO you go lower or higher?

How do you maintain credibility but also have a decent price set. If your going to work with an artist to produce 12 tracks. They want to own the exclusives. Your exclusives are $250 each. Will you give them a group rate? Lower your exclusives for more money on the back-end? Or just sell each individually as that rate. Same with engineering.

Alright I've read so many articles, books and spoken to people not in the industry and those that are in the industry. Some say go ahead and lease and get your money's worth considering a lot of these artists will ruin your creation or even if they do make a great song they dont know how to effectively market/promote it.

Another side says DONT do leases at all. Sell exclusives or they wont get it. period. If I sell the same beat 10 times leased to people and then 1 person wants to buy it exclusively who has the say in there rights?

Budgets. Do you work with them? Or do you have a set fee. Say you engineer for $40/hr. Do you change this at any time for budgets? DO you go lower or higher?

How do you maintain credibility but also have a decent price set. If your going to work with an artist to produce 12 tracks. They want to own the exclusives. Your exclusives are $250 each. Will you give them a group rate? Lower your exclusives for more money on the back-end? Or just sell each individually as that rate. Same with engineering.

Do what you want man... it's your business, it's your money it's,it's your choice. Anytime you can make money from your creations and keep your rights (aka a lease)that's a win for you. Saying people won't lease tracks is bullshit so you can discredit the article/person that said because huge companies license music all the damn time (another form of leasing). Obviously the person who owns the rights to the track has control over it. It would be smart to work with someone's budget would it not? I mean if their budget is $100 less than your set figure are you going to turn them away? It's up to you on how you want to run your operation. Your credibility isn't determined on your price but more so your professionalism and your quality. If you want to sell beats for $10.00 a pop online and tracks for $500 a pop you can do that all you'd have to do is create a different alias noone would ever know who you were and that's if you're really worried about that type of thing.. I know big producers who are clearing out their catalog online just running under a different name leasing the tracks cheap. I'd never sell a exclusive for $250 but again this is your operation do whatever you want. Do you feel you should give them a group rate? If so do so, would it make more sense to get more on the back end?

This is going to all be determined on the situation as all won't be the same

Do what you want man... it's your business, it's your money it's,it's your choice. Anytime you can make money from your creations and keep your rights (aka a lease)that's a win for you. Saying people won't lease tracks is bullshit so you can discredit the article/person that said because huge companies license music all the damn time (another form of leasing). Obviously the person who owns the rights to the track has control over it. It would be smart to work with someone's budget would it not? I mean if their budget is $100 less than your set figure are you going to turn them away? It's up to you on how you want to run your operation. Your credibility isn't determined on your price but more so your professionalism and your quality. If you want to sell beats for $10.00 a pop online and tracks for $500 a pop you can do that all you'd have to do is create a different alias noone would ever know who you were and that's if you're really worried about that type of thing.. I know big producers who are clearing out their catalog online just running under a different name leasing the tracks cheap. I'd never sell a exclusive for $250 but again this is your operation do whatever you want. Do you feel you should give them a group rate? If so do so, would it make more sense to get more on the back end?

This is going to all be determined on the situation as all won't be the same

^ What he said. :rolleyes:

At the end of the day you run a business that can charge whatever prices you desire. As long as there is a market for music, there will be people with money ready to pay for service. Simple.

Back