Labels who might be interested? (Future/Deep House)

Tupello

Hey guys,
Currently working up a catalogue of tunes and trying to get them heard. Slowly getting my name out there just need some help. One of my goals for this year is to try and get a label behind me to support and help me grow as a producer as well as putting me in a spotlight!

Anyone know of any labels (UK based) that'd be good for sending some demos, I produce and DJ future/deep house.

Just a list of names is cool! I'll do the research and the rest :)

Thanks!

-T

I've heard Lex Records are looking for deep house producers now... Don't know if it's true or not... See if they are.

Sorry to burst your bubble though, but you probably won't get signed by any labels. I said this to someone on here recently, and I think they took it as me saying their music wasn't good. I wasn't saying that, but unless your music has the numbers to say you're going to be a success and give a good return on investment, then most aren't going to even glance at you.

Probably better off sculpting your own path. Stay completely independent. Learn the business, have a look at Internal Affairs (shameless plug) and join the journey from learning the basics to the in-depth proven marketing strategies which will help you form your career. It's free!

:berzerk:

Hope I've helped,
Jordan

I've heard Lex Records are looking for deep house producers now... Don't know if it's true or not... See if they are.

Sorry to burst your bubble though, but you probably won't get signed by any labels. I said this to someone on here recently, and I think they took it as me saying their music wasn't good. I wasn't saying that, but unless your music has the numbers to say you're going to be a success and give a good return on investment, then most aren't going to even glance at you.

Probably better off sculpting your own path. Stay completely independent. Learn the business, have a look at Internal Affairs (shameless plug) and join the journey from learning the basics to the in-depth proven marketing strategies which will help you form your career. It's free!

:berzerk:

Hope I've helped,
Jordan

agree with Ex totally. they wouldn't take you unless you have numbers to back you. but don't let stop you from sending them a demo! push it through. now if you're a real full time DJ then that would actually compensate for the lack of numbers and musical quality you may not have. it's why so many DJs now who aren't that well at producing yet get signed more often because you have something they need and they know that you'll play their music. it's win win. good luck.

agree with Ex totally. they wouldn't take you unless you have numbers to back you. but don't let stop you from sending them a demo! push it through. now if you're a real full time DJ then that would actually compensate for the lack of numbers and musical quality you may not have. it's why so many DJs now who aren't that well at producing yet get signed more often because you have something they need and they know that you'll play their music. it's win win. good luck.

Hey guys, Thanks for the advice, The only thing i'm finding hard is getting the gigs, where I live nobody really wants to let you do a set unless you're already well known and I was hoping that some labels might change that. So any advice on getting gigs at clubs? I'm not so fussed about the financial support or having a label behind me, Just want the promotion, but i'll check out your stuff Jordan and hopefully pick up some tips! :)

As you're located in Hampshire, I've heard Southampton is a great area for getting gigs as a DJ (when you have the "name")... Plus, you're near Reading which has quite a big House scene according to my ex.

As for actually building up your brand/experience to get gigs, I'd recommend you do some mixes for your Soundcloud/Mixcloud. Maybe even try and get involved with an internet radio station. Doors will open as you pick up experience and grow a "fanbase" of people liking what you play. Definitely gain as much experience as possible, you'll develop and you'll eventually make very good money. I know a guy who was making £100,000 annually as a resident DJ for a funk/soul night at a pretty crappy club locally - so the money's there.

You could also offer to do some free nights as a trial... Try and force your way in sooner... However, I know so many DJs who've been asked to do such trials and they've turned them down as it's against their principles (I would be the same as well). Additionally, it means you won't be as experienced and will probably have a few embarrassing moments in a pretty full club. Not that people will notice though... They'll probably be too drunk/high to care.

In regards to my blog, I doubt any of it will be of use to you now. Next post is going to be on understanding niche and mass markets. However, in the near future, I do plan to talk about marketing for DJ's. If you have any questions in between (about anything marketing wise) feel free to drop me an e-mail at newsletter@internalaffairs.co... I'd also recommend you sign up to the newsletter if you're interested in receiving the updates.

Cheers,
Jordan

As you're located in Hampshire, I've heard Southampton is a great area for getting gigs as a DJ (when you have the "name")... Plus, you're near Reading which has quite a big House scene according to my ex.

As for actually building up your brand/experience to get gigs, I'd recommend you do some mixes for your Soundcloud/Mixcloud. Maybe even try and get involved with an internet radio station. Doors will open as you pick up experience and grow a "fanbase" of people liking what you play. Definitely gain as much experience as possible, you'll develop and you'll eventually make very good money. I know a guy who was making £100,000 annually as a resident DJ for a funk/soul night at a pretty crappy club locally - so the money's there.

You could also offer to do some free nights as a trial... Try and force your way in sooner... However, I know so many DJs who've been asked to do such trials and they've turned them down as it's against their principles (I would be the same as well). Additionally, it means you won't be as experienced and will probably have a few embarrassing moments in a pretty full club. Not that people will notice though... They'll probably be too drunk/high to care.

In regards to my blog, I doubt any of it will be of use to you now. Next post is going to be on understanding niche and mass markets. However, in the near future, I do plan to talk about marketing for DJ's. If you have any questions in between (about anything marketing wise) feel free to drop me an e-mail at newsletter@internalaffairs.co... I'd also recommend you sign up to the newsletter if you're interested in receiving the updates.

Cheers,
Jordan

Hey Jordan, Once again sound advice man.

I'm tryna get the whole mix recording and sending them out to venues together, It's so difficult finding venues that'll even read your emails though. I'm going to soon just saying **** it and go to these clubs like I should and just network in person, I think being offline and having real relationships is far more effective than just an email or facebook message.

Like i've mentioned before, money really doesn't mean anything to me, Sure! it would be nice being paid to do what I love and make a living from it, But i'm doing just fine from my day job and wouldn't even bat an eyelid playing for free.

I'm going to keep trying to get venues to listen, if not I think I'm going to take a huggeee risk and possibly try and put on my own night, Maybe once i've got some more ideas on how to do things and know that it could be at least a break even success, I'd love to do that and it'd probably be quite admirable from some other point of views.

I may take you up on emailing you and getting some more advice,

Thanks again!

Christian

I'd advise networking in person. It's generally more impressive nowadays. If you show your determination to get a job, it may just impress them. I'd even recommend being a bit of a pest, to a point.

Playing for free would decrease your value. By saying "you must pay for my services" all of a sudden gives your ability more perceived value. Pricing is very important to create a perceived value and a quality image/brand. I discourage doing anything for free... Because people expect you to do it for free again. People take advantage of others, unfortunately.

Doing your own night may be a good idea. However, I recommend you start small and build from there.

Also, I'd recommend you to create a list of objectives. But I wouldn't recommend you to stick to them religiously or get too disheartened if you don't achieve them. Night club events (even events generally) are notoriously difficult to achieve consistent results. You may set up one night to achieve an over capacity crowd, but do the same thing a few months later for just a few people to turn up. I know so many people who have these issues.

Here's a link to a blog post I wrote on objectives:
Are Your Objectives Smart?

Hope I've helped,
Jordan

P.s. I recently set up a very small charity event with a group of friends. It was incredibly difficult and we were very pessimistic about the attendance, on the day. Thankfully, we completely smashed it and made £320 for the charity we were raising for. So just so you know, you may find it very difficult to get a "good night" off the ground. I'd definitely encourage it though!

P.P.S You may find it "easier" to actually create the event in aid of a charity. You may find a lot of local businesses will tell you to basically bugger off, but it'll be a great learning experience for you... And it'll be for a great cause! Plus, you may be able to avoid losing any money as venues may even hire it out to you for a small/no fee.

Last edited:
Hey guys, Thanks for the advice, The only thing i'm finding hard is getting the gigs, where I live nobody really wants to let you do a set unless you're already well known and I was hoping that some labels might change that. So any advice on getting gigs at clubs? I'm not so fussed about the financial support or having a label behind me, Just want the promotion, but i'll check out your stuff Jordan and hopefully pick up some tips! :)

Tell em you'll do it for free. No club owner can resist those words.

Not many up and coming producer seem to know about this. Power Promotions and Hyperactive. 2 leading UK independent record promotion companies. They mainly promo things for the likes of Ministry, Positiva, Spinning etc. They have pop divisions too, promoting the likes of Taylor Swift etc. Although many labels like Ministry have there own promotions to DJ's they still rely on these guys to get their tracks out there.

As they are independent and not owned by a label they will promote your track for you. Make something good, pay them, thousands of working DJ's will receive your track, react to it, play it and possibly even chart it. Do this a few times and if you start making waves labels WILL notice you. They'll pretty much have to sign you or risk losing customers to another label or even your own! It's like showing them you mean business and that's what they need to see. If you're doing this now your the type of guy that will make your own label. They'll see that and that's the kind of people, people want on board. If you're good I can't see how this wouldn't work.

Clubs are just as little interested in you as a DJ as labels are as a producer. Unless you gang together to do/build your own night, promoters are only interested in how many friends you can get in the club. They usually have a back log of adequate, musically armed DJ's who have no friends from all the years practising rather than partying.

Last edited:
Tell em you'll do it for free. No club owner can resist those words.

This does not work, unless he knows you are already what he wants to which you've done a disservice to yourself and fellow members of the industry. No club owner with a decent crowd would risk his night on someone for free. So if this was true you'd either be working a dead crowd or forced to play what isn't the image your try to sculpt to sell your music.

Another good bit of advice. Approach artist managers, they will cost you but you have to invest to get ahead. All the big dogs have management. Personally I prefer to not do this and stay in a lil side street pub, the easy life!!!! Make sure you research them first, plenty of con artists out there!

Not many up and coming producer seem to know about this. Power Promotions and Hyperactive. 2 leading UK independent record promotion companies. They mainly promo things for the likes of Ministry, Positiva, Spinning etc. They have pop divisions too, promoting the likes of Taylor Swift etc. Although many labels like Ministry have there own promotions to DJ's they still rely on these guys to get their tracks out there.

As they are independent and not owned by a label they will promote your track for you. Make something good, pay them, thousands of working DJ's will receive your track, react to it, play it and possibly even chart it. Do this a few times and if you start making waves labels WILL notice you. They'll pretty much have to sign you or risk losing customers to another label or even your own! It's like showing them you mean business and that's what they need to see. If you're doing this now your the type of guy that will make your own label. They'll see that and that's the kind of people, people want on board. If you're good I can't see how this wouldn't work.

+1 to that.

That is great advice. I know of both Power Promotions and Hyperactive, but it didn't cross my mind.

I thought about employing them to help with my record label but I decided against using them. The reason was mentioned by mitchiemasha - quality of the records being promoted. My label is more in the business of developing artists/producers at the minute and want to grow a bit more slowly.

The last couple of sentences of the quote is very, very true. If you're making moves on your own, then it'll be a much easier decision to sign you.

Clubs are just as little interested in you as a DJ as labels are as a producer. Unless you gang together to do/build your own night, promoters are only interested in how many friends you can get in the club. They usually have a back log of adequate, musically armed DJ's who have no friends from all the years practising rather than partying.

This is great advice. I am based in the United States. Do you happen to know of any companies like this in that are based in the US that specialize in dance music promotion?

I'd strongly agree. It's huge over here, although it's moving more towards the garage flavours on the more commercial floors.

Back