Keeping copies and backups of Projects

D

D-Funkdafied

I don't know which area to put this in so I thought I'd put it in the legal department.

I have copies of my projects on my external hard drive and my internal hard drive, but I also want to keep a CD/DVD of my projects which I will make every year or every 6 months. I just want to know, what disc should I put these files and data on? Is it CD, DVD ....?

Any other information about backups you would like to share then please let me know!

I try to make two to three copies/archive versions of every mix-- one on CD (playable audio from .wav file), the other on DVD (data disc including a bunch of file format versions; .wav, high-quality Mp3, .aiff, .wma, Flac &/or Mp4). I also back stuff up to a separate hard drive every once in awhile (plus sometimes copies on the multiple computer drives).

Your stuff is really only safe if you have multiple copies in case of accidental loss. Some people back-up individual tracks, but I don't do that as much...

GJ

As the first answerer said, a CD or DVD will work... So will a flash drive.

---------- Post added at 08:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

As the first answerer said, a CD or DVD will work... So will a flash drive.
Good job for taking the initiative to back up your files. Investing all that money now, will save you hundreds/thousands later.

Back