Just had someone hit me wanting exclusive rights to my beat...

...but I don't like their sound. I make beats in the genre/style of guys like Thouxanbandfauni, Uno, Yung Bans, Playboi Carti, etc. etc. This women who has 3 tracks on her soundcloud (a Bruno Mars cover, a Miguel cover, and an Adele cover) wants exclusive rights to one of my beats. Now this would be my first exclusive sell, but I know it isn't going to help my career/potential at all. What would yall do?

Get that money and royalties man. you don't have to promote it, but if your beats hard people are going to gravitate to the beat rather than the artist. thats just my opinion tho g

Decide whether selling this beat to a nobody will help your career in any way other than financially or not.
She is only offering you a sum of money. She doesn't have connections to other potential clients, she doesn't even know what to do with the beat.
She could be a manager for an artist maybe which is why she wants it. If she isn't, then you're casting your pearls before swine. She isn't offering you anything but cash that can be spent up by tonight. I suggest you deny her politely and let her know she can still purchase it as a lease. If you do this you can still re-sell the beat, and potentially come across the right customer who knows someone who can lead to another customer and another who's work you'd like and they'd possibly even pay more.

I think it's a balancing act. You have to respect that you know when you create something that's arguably better than other things that you've done and you have to weigh the options. How long do you think it'll be before you can make something this good again? If it's not soon, then don't sell exclusive rights, but offer a lease, so you can keep the good beat in your revenue making repertoire.

Is she a good singer?

Appreciate the fact that someone is buying your beat with exclusive publishing rights. Supposing the exclusive rights cost a lot more than a lease. Sell that beat exclusively if it feels right to you. Your job as a producer is to provide foundation of a track and if the singers feels like it's an amazing beat and wants to buy it exclusively then why not? Feeling might not be mutual right now but you also helping other people to grow. Don't hold onto your tracks. More to come more to go. Use the opportunity, you'll never know how long you will have to wait until another person hits you up for the exclusives. Might be that it won't happen again ever in your career? Do what feels right to you. Either way it's your first exclusive congrats on that man, you on the right path!!!!

I say ask to hear some more of her music, and get a dialog going.

Any client that is good at what they do has the potential to make a break out hit, but if their content is some how offensive or otherwise bad and they release is to the public it could hurt you in the long run. I don't work on exclusives with anyone I wouldn't have a drink with(in a manner of speaking).Money is cool, but your integrity as an artist/composer is what keeps you alive in this business.

On the other side, Turning down clients can cost you business as well. You could miss an opportunity to build a profitable relationship. Some of my best repeat clients really haven't done much more than record music to play for their friends. That also ended up bringing me more clients for Leases and exclusives.

Tough call. Do what you feel is best for you. and good luck

Sell the beat and make more beats and more money. Other artists will check you out based on hearing a track with a dope beat too. Just don't negotiate with the artist if you aren't feeling them, give them one option at one price.

Back