iTunes and sampling

KingComrade

Has anyone got away with putting their music on an iTunes store with samples?(uncleared) Can you get away with it?
and when i say samples i mean obscure old samples not a remix of a publicly known pop song that came out a few months earlier.

Let me get this straight, you are asking how you can get away with stealing someone's music? and how you can profit on it?

Someone created an acct and sold Drakes songs from it without permission. Ended up getting sued, but if you can do that, why couldn't you put up a sample?

It's as easy as putting an uncleared sample on soundclick or myspace.

Apple isn't going to police every song on itunes. there are just way to many. But they will react to something that is brought to their attention.

^^^Exactly. I have no clue of why someone would attempt to profit off an uncleared sample. That's like trying to sell a stolen car vs. driving one from point a to b because it's quicker than walking.

Before people turn it to production, you can legally sell a sampled composition, under the contract you sell the work you did and make the buyer aware their only buying your contributions to the song, not the original artist's.

As a label/musician, why would you use an unlicensed song for anything more than mixtapes and promotional sh*t? Album filler at best? The math's not there. You'll pay a major artist for a feature they email you a pro tools session of, but you won't pay another artist the same ballpark figure for their work you used in your composition?

i think the most of the people who put uncleared samples on itunes just don't know any better or figure no one would notice.

Sampling is not only stealing someones music, sometimes ppl use sampled speech. So if there's anyone who knows what's their policy on that please reply below (I really didn't want to start a new topic cuz' it's still about sampling). It must be a clue ,I've seen few artists that uses sampled speech,this is one of the examples. How they clear the samples to legally upload this in their iTunes store?

rogan.png

Last edited:
obviously wouldn't suggest it - but as several people have noted, it's not impossible. when you say sample, do you mean a sound or noise from a song? or an obscure sound from a movie, etc? just curious

Back