Internships

Snype Mafia

what yall think bout 1 im goin 2 get a associate in music recording technology but i wanna no a lil bit bout licensing and other ways to make $$$ its kinda far but i aint worried bout dat what you guys think since i couldnt find any studio internships in my area, and sadly this is non paid lol

---------- Post added at 04:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:15 PM ----------

or do you think a internship with a artist management company would be better

Interships are what you make of em, the majority of music internships are un paid if not min wage. So even if you do get paid, you wont be making any money. If you want to get into licensing IMO i would read many books and contact lawyers and diff firms and ask questions. The diff between interning at a Studio and management company is the hands on experience. The studio you (should be) learing the boards, outboard gear, mixing techniques, setting up and taking down sessions, etc. In a place for managing I assume itd be a bunch of paper work and phone calls.

So I would focus on the studio tech, and then just read up on the business side. Take a class at a community college. and it doesnt have to be MUSIC licensing/business, general management and general business should give you a start.

you can get a assoiciate in music recording technology and a associate in music business 4 years total... maybe three years on a fast track program

you can get a assoiciate in music recording technology and a associate in music business 4 years total... maybe three years on a fast track program

On these programs will you actually be spending much time in an actual fully working studio, or is it mainly classroom study?

When I was on my recording connection course, my mentor gave me an extensive list of books and videos to read/ watch. He also recommended that I take a basic electronics repair course at my local evening school. He was very thorough and expected me to give my best.

On these programs will you actually be spending much time in an actual fully working studio, or is it mainly classroom study?

if you actually attend this schools and not online you spend time in real studio with ssl and neve consoles very different from what you probably be working on when you get out there..but you can look for jobs at Disney's,Warner Bros.,Fox,etc...

You should also look for a good accomplished mentor who can help guide you through the process. If you can get an internship make sure it's from a company that's credible. The last thing you want to do is waste your time working for free from someone who won't give you the right experience and knowledge.

You should also look for a good accomplished mentor who can help guide you through the process. If you can get an internship make sure it's from a company that's credible. The last thing you want to do is waste your time working for free from someone who won't give you the right experience and knowledge.

That's exactly what the mentors at recording connection do. They go through every single process. If they don't you need to speak to him and if you don't get anywhere, speak with RC directly.

As long as they teach the student how to actually work in a studio that's fine. But I hear that College courses are far too cerebral. You need to get your hands dirty.

It is pretty much a learn as you do process, which makes it so much fun.

---------- Post added 10-09-2011 at 08:24 AM ---------- Previous post was 10-08-2011 at 03:18 AM ----------

What's the difference between an internship and an apprenticeship?

Internship is a system of on-the-job training for white-collar jobs, similar to an apprenticeship. Interns are usually college or university students, but they can also be high school students or post graduate adults seeking skills for a new career. They may also be as young as middle school or in some cases elementary students. Student internships provide opportunities for students to gain experience in their field, determine if they have an interest in a particular career, create a network of contacts, or gain school credit. Internships provide employers with cheap or free labor for (typically) low-level tasks. Some interns find permanent, paid employment with the companies in which they interned. Their value to the company may be increased by the fact that they need little to no training.

Apprenticeship is a system of training a new generation of practitioners of a skill. Apprentices (or in early modern usage "prentices") or protégés build their careers from apprenticeships. Most of their training is done while working for an employer who helps the apprentices learn their trade, in exchange for their continuing labour for an agreed period after they become skilled. Theoretical education may also be involved, informally via the workplace and/or by attending vocational schools while still being paid by the employer.

I see internships as business world kind of training...doing all the golfer things go get this go get that....

and
apprenticeship as a more of a specific labor skill learned and usually you end up working for the same company you have your apprenticship with..as the company wants to make their money back from the time they spent teaching you

Internship is a system of on-the-job training for white-collar jobs, similar to an apprenticeship. Interns are usually college or university students, but they can also be high school students or post graduate adults seeking skills for a new career. They may also be as young as middle school or in some cases elementary students. Student internships provide opportunities for students to gain experience in their field, determine if they have an interest in a particular career, create a network of contacts, or gain school credit. Internships provide employers with cheap or free labor for (typically) low-level tasks. Some interns find permanent, paid employment with the companies in which they interned. Their value to the company may be increased by the fact that they need little to no training.

Apprenticeship is a system of training a new generation of practitioners of a skill. Apprentices (or in early modern usage "prentices") or protégés build their careers from apprenticeships. Most of their training is done while working for an employer who helps the apprentices learn their trade, in exchange for their continuing labour for an agreed period after they become skilled. Theoretical education may also be involved, informally via the workplace and/or by attending vocational schools while still being paid by the employer.

I see internships as business world kind of training...doing all the golfer things go get this go get that....

and
apprenticeship as a more of a specific labor skill learned and usually you end up working for the same company you have your apprenticeship with..as the company wants to make their money back from the time they spent teaching you

Thank you for the clarification. :)

I am going to be upfront about these music schools, keep in mind that your credits will NOT transfer to any other college. If you are going to go to college then go to a college where you can get a real degree not a piece of paper that you can print up from your home printer. The best way to put it is watch this video It is the truth but it is funny but it really is true. I know because I have a degree from a music school I will not say what school because I do not want legal actions taking against me.

I am all for learning but if you really want to learn how to record find a studio that will teach you. If you want to learn how to produce find a person that is better and willing to teach you. Read books, learn, learn and ask good questions. I did all these before I went to the music school that I graduated in 2005 and I spent lots of money on equipment. Not this 200-300 dollar microphones my studio was well over $70k and once I was in school I did not learn that much because they really don't care. My mentor was one of the teachers from my school and I learned more from him free then I did from me paying the school.

I have many friends that graduated from music schools and they wish they could do it over again because they would not have spent the money. You will get more from your life if you work at building great BUSINESS RELATIONSHIP and learn how to handle yourself professionally. I can not tell you how many people I run into daily who are very unprofessional. I am not trying to offend anyone by any means if you have question please PM me and I will answer them the best that I can.

Sorry.

well stated BeatsbyYou
alot of ppl focus on making beats like dre,timberland and not time focusing on the business part of that will take their career to the place they want...
that's why they is a great demand for music business coaches and consulting over managers today alot of full-time professional managers don't want to deal with ppl with no drive

Find a school where the mentor does actually care and it WILL work out. Also the pupil must be committed 100%.

Back