Imprint Record Label

An imprint is a brand that isn't actually a company. It's usually some form of "division" of a record label that has no actual business structure.

Usually, big artists start their own imprint so they run their projects independently with a publisher or distributor. I know Estelle has done this in around 2012.

In the Hip Hop world, FlyLo did this with Brainfeeder and Madlib did it with his Madlib Invazion. Though, I believe both imprints have actually developed in to their own independent record labels now - with no "outsourced" distribution. Originally, both labels began by distributing through the labels they were signed to (Warp and Stonesthrow respectively).

Last edited:
So in other words it's just a name... That's owned by the label it's under, as in, (sorry for this reference but it's just relevant) cash moneys imprint young money and rich gang.

Last edited:
Basically, it is just a name.

And yes, Young Money is distributed by the larger label Cash Money I believe (or at the very least Cash Moneys distributors). Therefore, Young Money's an imprint.

Rich Gang on the other hand isn't a label, I don't think. It's just a collection (of artists), but I may be wrong. Basically, any releases by "Rich Gang" would be released through a label like Young Money or Cash Money.

Last edited:
Basically, it is just a name.

And yes, Young Money is distributed by the larger label Cash Money I believe (or at the very least Cash Money's distributors). Therefore, Young Money's an imprint.

Rich Gang on the other hand isn't a label, I don't think. It's just a collection (of artists), but I may be wrong. Basically, any releases by "Rich Gang" would be released through a label like Young Money or Cash Money.

Young Money is an imprint of Cash Money but distributed by Republic Records. Rich Gang isn't a label but is a collection of artists.

Most of these so-called labels are just imprints owned by the major distributor.

The imprint usually gets a higher percentage of revenue than an artist or production company, which is why you'll see artists start imprints or labels and not really put an money, time or effort into the roster.

Back