I'm the guy who Kanye stold his whole beat style from (story inside)

TVman

back in the day in the late 90's the scene in Chicago hip hop was basically broke down into 2 camps. The first was all the southern style fast rap groups like Twista, Crucial conflict, soldiers of war type acts, all of which dominated the south and west sides of the city.

Then you had the backpackers that preferred the gritty NY sound with the beats in the low to mid 90's bpm, which were mostly around the north sides of the city with some small pockets everywhere else. These were Common Sense, Rhymefest, Gravity, Juice, and a few others.

Grav came out first and had a whole bunch of kanye's beats on there, but the album went no where, as many can confirm this that if you want to make it as an artist in Chicago, you have to leave chicago. For some reason, its filled with vampires that bring you down and "super heaters" which is like a hater on steriods that will sabotage everything in your life to bring you down.

Around 97-98, having been in LOVE with Rza's style, I had my own beat cd's that basically was my own take on Rza. What I would do is have drums/breaks somewhat similar to Rza, and chop samples like dj premier, but also put my own spin to it. Well one of my own spins to it was to pitch up the samples and chop and use the high pitch style and I would add syncopated drums/hats/congas/bongos to them since I was already being influenced by the faster rapping beats of legendary trackster and the whole south side style in the Chi.

Well these beat Cd's eventually got into the hands of Don C., Kanye's manager. I knew quite a few people in his inner circle, doug inf, no i.d, and a few other cousins and what not. So we were on the phone regularly and people were going bonkers over my high pitched syncopated tracks. Well all of a sudden, Kanye's people stop pickin up for me, stop answering my calls, or calling back.

Next thing I know, I start hearin Kanye come out with all these high pitched sampled syncopated tracks and I was like WTF!!!!!!. I was still a newbie to the game and Ye had a few years on me so he already had a foot in the door havin done a track on a foxy brown album and a jermain dupri track.

Still there was absolutely nothing I can do. He never directly copied any of my tracks to a T, just took the whole high pitch/syncopated style and blew up off of it.

On top of that, he wasn't rapping. He was only producing. Well in the CHi, Rhymefest was making a name for himself on the battle circuit and beating virtually everyone. He had started working with Ye's inner circle and he has a very distinct style of rapping, voice, flow.

Well when Kanye came out with his first album, where he's rapping, guess who he sounds exactly like to a "T". Rhymefest. He took his whole style, jokes, parodies, swagger, everything, and ran with it.

IN one sense it really sucks cause I coulda had that shine, but on another note life goes on and you move on.

If it's one lesson I have to share to fellow producers, be super ****in careful who hears your stuff and who's hands its in.

Don't get me started on Common. He got his ass beat at his own birthday party by those very same "super haters" I referenced earlier. It was around his 2nd or 3rd album and he had a bunch of features from alot of local emcee's and the label made him take them off. He never said anything to them, so they found out when the album dropped. He gets back into town one day and he has a Bday party with some family at his dad's house. Some of those same features that never made the final album came by and a few of them just whooped on him ....in his own house, in front of his family, on his birthday....
That's when he basically permanently moved to NY

If you step on others to get to the top, you'll have nobody to catch you when you fall.

Not quite. But i get your point.

---------- Post added at 11:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 PM ----------

damn . . . that dude done stold your shit . . . "Dey Tooooooooook eeeerrrrrrrr Jooooooooooobbbbb"
LMAO....Its gon rain on yo hed

---------- Post added 08-03-2012 at 12:01 AM ---------- Previous post was 08-02-2012 at 11:50 PM ----------

back in the day in the late 90's the scene in Chicago hip hop was basically broke down into 2 camps. The first was all the southern style fast rap groups like Twista, Crucial conflict, soldiers of war type acts, all of which dominated the south and west sides of the city.

Then you had the backpackers that preferred the gritty NY sound with the beats in the low to mid 90's bpm, which were mostly around the north sides of the city with some small pockets everywhere else. These were Common Sense, Rhymefest, Gravity, Juice, and a few others.

Grav came out first and had a whole bunch of kanye's beats on there, but the album went no where, as many can confirm this that if you want to make it as an artist in Chicago, you have to leave chicago. For some reason, its filled with vampires that bring you down and "super heaters" which is like a hater on steriods that will sabotage everything in your life to bring you down.

Around 97-98, having been in LOVE with Rza's style, I had my own beat cd's that basically was my own take on Rza. What I would do is have drums/breaks somewhat similar to Rza, and chop samples like dj premier, but also put my own spin to it. Well one of my own spins to it was to pitch up the samples and chop and use the high pitch style and I would add syncopated drums/hats/congas/bongos to them since I was already being influenced by the faster rapping beats of legendary trackster and the whole south side style in the Chi.

Well these beat Cd's eventually got into the hands of Don C., Kanye's manager. I knew quite a few people in his inner circle, doug inf, no i.d, and a few other cousins and what not. So we were on the phone regularly and people were going bonkers over my high pitched syncopated tracks. Well all of a sudden, Kanye's people stop pickin up for me, stop answering my calls, or calling back.

Next thing I know, I start hearin Kanye come out with all these high pitched sampled syncopated tracks and I was like WTF!!!!!!. I was still a newbie to the game and Ye had a few years on me so he already had a foot in the door havin done a track on a foxy brown album and a jermain dupri track.

Still there was absolutely nothing I can do. He never directly copied any of my tracks to a T, just took the whole high pitch/syncopated style and blew up off of it.

On top of that, he wasn't rapping. He was only producing. Well in the CHi, Rhymefest was making a name for himself on the battle circuit and beating virtually everyone. He had started working with Ye's inner circle and he has a very distinct style of rapping, voice, flow.

Well when Kanye came out with his first album, where he's rapping, guess who he sounds exactly like to a "T". Rhymefest. He took his whole style, jokes, parodies, swagger, everything, and ran with it.

IN one sense it really sucks cause I coulda had that shine, but on another note life goes on and you move on.

If it's one lesson I have to share to fellow producers, be super ****in careful who hears your stuff and who's hands its in.

Don't get me started on Common. He got his ass beat at his own birthday party by those very same "super haters" I referenced earlier. It was around his 2nd or 3rd album and he had a bunch of features from alot of local emcee's and the label made him take them off. He never said anything to them, so they found out when the album dropped. He gets back into town one day and he has a Bday party with some family at his dad's house. Some of those same features that never made the final album came by and a few of them just whooped on him ....in his own house, in front of his family, on his birthday....
That's when he basically permanently moved to NY

Thats a story, but its "unconfirmable" and irrelevant my dude. If its true, which I have no reason to think otherwise, Im sorry to hear it. But I cant sympathize. I doubt this coulda ever have been your "shine". If this was 97 and you still bitter about it, then you arent built for the "steel world". Its like the real world but on steroids. Im not tryna be a dick about but, you shoulda capitalized off that and been on to the next shit by now, especially if you was on that next level shit to begin with. Coulda saved this for a documentary, exposing the fake and promoting the real. Im just sayin....
"Niggas got them kinda dreams from jail
You in the streets nigga, make your move, get your get your mayo' " - Jay-Z

I'm not bitter about it. It is what it is. I was naive and a young buck when it happened. I didn't know anything about makin paper of this, lawyers, clearances, the "game" in general.

I just effin loved making beats and bein that I had an ear and understood theory, I mixed different techniques and styles to make Ye's signature sound, which he bit off me.

Back then, I was just puttin the feelers out there, just shoppin beats and trying to see what the consensus would be and it was lots of praise. I made some money off beats since then, worked with a handful of famous people, took a long break from music just to live life, fresh air, travel, read, meditate ...whereas when I was deep in the game, my whole life was east, sleep, shi* in the lab ...I would go sometimes a week or two without seeing daylight.

I just didn't have the fire in the belly back then..... it was a fun hobby that I started pursuing to see if I can make money off of. and then started becoming serious.

I can say now in retrospect, if you want to make it in the game you need that fire in the belly, never take no for an answer. If someone says "No", you ask then what can I do for you to say "Yes." It's all about networking and who you know, as well as a little luck, right place right time, etc.

If you listen to Kanye's first few beat CD's from like 99-01, his beats are garbage ...they are average sub-par. Then he heard my stuff and a few other producer's tracks, and would literally recreate our styles and ran with it. He just had the right people around him and that's it. Look at his album credits and its Ken Lewis or Jon Brion doing most of his stuff and then Ye puts his name on it..... ALL ABOUT WHO YOU KNOW.

Last edited:
Wow bro, not many people get the chance to say that! Congrats!

Come up with a new style and see where that goes!

niggas were been gonna use sped up samples (because we were too lazy to timestretch; it took to long on MPCs and was impossible on SP12's) and layer snare drums with snaps instead of claps.

I got a similar story, hell, stories, know a few others with some good ones as well...but to tell them just makes you seem like you have nothing else to speak on. The last thing you ever want to make yourself is the guy someone important took something from. How far does that really get you? You'll only be important to people so interested in the guy who did you wrong that they want to hear your dirt on him. It's the equivalent to groupies who run and tell about famous people they f**ked.

Don't mean any disrespect, just my view that I was putting out there for you to consider.

I've seen alot, anytime I speak on what I know it either isn't believed, or people dissect it and turn me into the bad guy for speaking on it. Not worth it. I'd rather be known for what I've done than for what someone has done to cheat me.

I dont understand how he really comes off as bitter. Dude just shared an interesting story. I'm sure its very common in the industry.

I def feel your pain, has happened to me half a dozen times, where people leach off of new concepts with out directly stealing... it sucks..but You got the right attitude about it.

Back