If I release a track on my label, is it automatically copyrighted?

Bobcat

Future Producer
I have no label but once I have enough good stuff which I would like to release, I would love to start a record label.

I would of course also want my work to be copyrighted. I have read the thread about copyrighting tracks - but this is a tricky thing. Because it's different for all countries.

But in general, is a song automatically copyrighted by the label that owns it? Of course only if the label itself is registered I mean.

when your "track is in a tangiable form is copyrighted however is not registered. And to sue for infrigement it must be registered

If you don't register it with the copyright office of your country, then it is NOT registered i.e. you cannot sue someone for infringing the copyright. However, you automatically own the work when you make it, but that's not enough to use in court.

when your "track is in a tangiable form is copyrighted however is not registered. And to sue for infrigement it must be registered

this is right on point

no other explanation needed if you guys don't know the above statement write it down or burn it in your memory

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Music Business Professional Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

thanks tone... I try to offer advice but it seems to be disregarded.

well that's because ppl don't invest in check the information out
I teach general copyright information to most of my clients because they have no clue but everyone needs to start somewhere

-Coach Antonio

yea you'd be surprised how much money I earn simply registering ppl's songs. That eCO is pretty tough to fill out if you never done it. Most ppl make mistakes and end up paying 100 dollars in fines. And on the extreme they register a collection of songs instead of one song then a publisher wants to work with them and they end of giving up the entire collection of songs b/c they screwed up the eCO.

Thanks very much! I don't disregard your advice at all epotts!!

Then I guess I will reformulate my question - is a track automatically copyrighted AND registered if it is signed to a label? I know that it doesn't need to be part of a label to be so, but the idea here was that the label is like a big container and you throw lots of stuff in there and whatever is in there is automatically copyrighted and registered - that way you wouldn't need to registered and copyright EACH track, but automatically everything that is being released is already copyrighted/registered.

This field is very new and confusing to me I must admit... I read a lot of threads but it's always about the US copyright office, however I don't live in the US and it's hard to find similar things here since the law is completely different. But basically I can register it everywhere? Or do I need to be a resident?

Also, as far as the label goes - what about making the name a trademarke? Does that cost a lot? I basically want to protect everything 100%, so that - whatever happens - nobody can do me anything :)

Cheers and thanks for the help everyone!

yea I did notice your where in austria but I was speaking from a general stand point not just this forum. Ppl ask question and I give correct answer then another person will post something that is completely false. But to sum it up record labels generally make you give up your copyright and publishing when you sign with a label. With that being said the songwriter would have to have the registered copyright in order to give it away. In your case just bc you have a record label it does not mean that you automatically have a registered copyright. If you signed yourself and put that in the contract than the label would have that copyright. but since its not registered it wouldnt matter anyway

---------- Post added at 08:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 PM ----------

and yes labels should be trademarked you can do a search for the name you intend on using. But if your just starting out I would not focus on copyrights and trademarks JUST FOCUS ON MAKING GOOD MUSIC THAT PPL WANT TO PURCHASE

Then I guess I will reformulate my question - is a track automatically copyrighted AND registered if it is signed to a label? I know that it doesn't need to be part of a label to be so, but the idea here was that the label is like a big container and you throw lots of stuff in there and whatever is in there is automatically copyrighted and registered - that way you wouldn't need to registered and copyright EACH track, but automatically everything that is being released is already copyrighted/registered.

This field is very new and confusing to me I must admit... I read a lot of threads but it's always about the US copyright office, however I don't live in the US and it's hard to find similar things here since the law is completely different. But basically I can register it everywhere? Or do I need to be a resident?

Also, as far as the label goes - what about making the name a trademarke? Does that cost a lot? I basically want to protect everything 100%, so that - whatever happens - nobody can do me anything :)

no paper still needs to be done here in the US.. I don't know about your country check in the copyright laws of your country

trademarking is not needed at this point of your business venture unless you got tons of cash to spend..point that cash towards marketing/promotion/brand dvelopment
I always wanted to do some research on copyright laws from a different country where are you located sir???

-Coach Antonio

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum

From what I read today, with a solicitor... In the EU, YOU DO NOT NEED TO REGISTER YOUR WORK AT ALL to win a copyright infringement battle... However, I recommend you register to someone like PRS or PPL(UK firms - google them) as a publisher/label, or even just a solo producer/artist on the basis, that they can:

1. Provide a 'electronic registration' of your work
2. If copyright is infringed, they will fight YOUR battle for you in court... I'm not sure how far they are willing to fight, but e.g. it gives you a better leverage being with someone like PPL, than being an individual against e.g. Sony Records...

However, if you're based in the US, then register your works.

P.S. before registering any works with anyone, be sure to check whether they are a private company or a government owned company(easily found on their website). If it's government owned, then it's probably best to register your works.

Hope I've helped!

Thanks guys!

Fataltone, I'm located in Austria! If you're willing to do some research for me, go ahead and tell me what can be done then :rolleyes:

So basically each time a song gets released, it is automatically copyrighted by the label, but not registered. So everytime a song gets released, the label will also register the song?

Because for example on Youtube when I watch a random video which includes a song, it will say something like "This video contains property of BLABLA Recordings.." etc. So are they talking about the fact the song is REGISTERED by the label here? Or only copyrighted?

Back