I want to get signed (tired of being DIY)

Somasu

I am VERY FUCKING TIRED of being DIY. Releasing music to little plays; getting snubbed by blogs like Pigeons & Planes, Vice, Line of best Fit etc. (although I have gotten some coverage on some good ones). I am also sick of having to spend a lot of money for Soundcloud repost just for a song to get plays by real listeners.

I want to play shows, but gigs won't let me play until I have a good following in my area. I played some open mic only to realise that using backing tracks really doesn't work for an open mic environment. i can't find a good and reputable manager... Everything is just frustrating me. It seems almost impossible for me to leave this bedroom artist shit and move onto the next level. I'm slowly starting to lose passion because what is honestly the point in making music if hardly anyone will hear or care about it. Don't get me wrong, I make music for myself but what makes music so enjoyable is knowing that, eventually, the hard work will be heard. But I don't even see that happening without spending ludicrous amount of money on promotion. I don't even want to make a music video because I am scared no one will even watch it.

Here's my Soundcloud if you're interested in hearing my music Somasu | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Last edited:
Only thing a label can do for you is marketing and promo depending on whether or not you can sustain a buzz on your own prior to signing. DIY isn't for everyone just as being signed isn't for everyone so what label(s) pique your interest?

Only thing a label can do for you is marketing and promo depending on whether or not you can sustain a buzz on your own prior to signing. DIY isn't for everyone just as being signed isn't for everyone so what label(s) pique your interest?
That is true but I feel all I need is momentum. The momentum I need is nearly impossible to get DIY without being very connected and/or rich. If I was given the right level of promo is all I need to make it because enough people would have heard (and liked) my music from everything to sort itself out.

Labels such as XL Recordings, Matador, Warp etc. would be ideal. Basically a good and reputable indie label.

Last edited:
You wont get signed unless you have a good following simple as that. So... focus on building a good following. That's what grabs people's attention because it shows potential for money to be made

If you're struggling to pay for equipment and things, theres a new website called Pipo.io where you can start a crowdfunder to raise money for these things

I am VERY FUCKING TIRED of being DIY. Releasing music to little plays; getting snubbed by blogs like Pigeons & Planes, Vice, Line of best Fit etc. (although I have gotten some coverage on some good ones). I am also sick of having to spend a lot of money for Soundcloud repost just for a song to get plays by real listeners.

I understand your frustration when it comes to DIY. Have you consider the possibility that you might going about it wrong?

I want to play shows, but gigs won't let me play until I have a good following in my area. I played some open mic only to realise that using backing tracks really doesn't work for an open mic environment.

Have you considered working with people, some of which you may not think to be popular or cool, who might know a bit more about helping you put out better quality music? So far, it sounds like you have the idea that popularity is paid for with only money. I hope that I'm wrong in this interpretation. Otherwise, I may be forced to tell you that it requires much more that just your money.

i can't find a good and reputable manager... Everything is just frustrating me. It seems almost impossible for me to leave this bedroom artist shit and move onto the next level.

The problem is that you're not working with people outside of your bedroom. Go take some music lessons, learn to play an instrument; like a real one. Meet other people who make music to and learn with those you can keep up with. Add to your skill set to make people want to work with you like you want to work with them. The second you think you know everything, check yourself cause you don't. You're not a master yet. Training, real music training should be your focus. Learn to master the craft you want others to pay and see you perform.

I'm slowly starting to lose passion because what is honestly the point in making music if hardly anyone will hear or care about it. Don't get me wrong, I make music for myself but what makes music so enjoyable is knowing that, eventually, the hard work will be heard.

You may not be a real musician or performer then. To find out, stop making excuses and continue doing the work; or quit already. Just stop lying to yourself and the community by acting like all you want is your music to be heard. I see your soundcloud. You have 300 followers while only following 2 people which tells me that people hear you. So what's that about? It seems like you don't listen to anyone but yourself with stats like that. It would be cool if you were an influence in the music industry.

If you were an influence in the music community, meaning that you say and do the things that others want to mimic, would you be less frustrated?

But I don't even see that happening without spending ludicrous amount of money on promotion.

How much should it cost to be a master at your craft, seriously? What record label(s) have what you specifically need to just make music?

I don't even want to make a music video because I am scared no one will even watch it.

Here's my Soundcloud if you're interested in hearing my music Somasu | Free Listening on SoundCloud

It's probably for the best that you save your video money for something else, only make videos that people want to watch because what you're currently watching isn't helping you create the kind of content that gets the type of results you want. Start focusing solely on the quality of your music because even the most basic music listeners know the difference between a pro and an amateur work. You'll know once the quality is there because people will begin asking you for your music, instead of you asking to give to them.

Invest your money into quality instead of quantity and give yourself some a good amount of time to learn what you're trying to do. Or quit, because good labels don't work with those who underestimate the time value of the professionals; regardless of how much you pay for popularity. And remember, more people at this fail than those who succeed.

Right now, you sound like a failure. This is a good thing because now you can decide who you are. A musician or some one else entirely. The only person that can turn this frustration around is you. Stop complaining about the work that everyone else has to put in. How many vocal coaches to you think its gonna take 0, 1, 2, 3? You're already starting with 0. Try working with at least one. Or, did you think this would be something that just came naturally?

Everyone who makes good music today had to learn how to do it from someone else. Find yourself some mentors or, like I said before, hurry up and quit. Stop wasting money if this isn't what you want.

Back