I Need help on this "Exclusive agreement deal"

Haunted bucks

So I've been contacted by an "local-artist" that was interested in one of my "EDM compositions". We contacted each other and decided to initiate an "Exclusive rights agreement proposal", but to be honest, a couple of things the individual said and sent over had me skeptical. Here are some of the Red flags that had me cautious with this proposal.
1. The artist wanted me to sign they're own "Exclusive rights contract" (I have my own BTW).
2. My prices are $200.00 for exclusive rights, the individual tried to low-ball me to $60.00
3. The individual wanted 100% ownership rights of the track (it was included in they're contract).
4. The individual wanted no royalty attachments.
5. The individual referred to my "Big room house", track as Dubstep? Giving me the impression, the individual has no knowledge of EDM genres.
The composition is one of my first well put together and accomplished "Big Room House track". I've gotten great feedback from people and it took me some time to make, mix and master. I don't want to feel like I'm "Baby-sitting", my track, which I can just make more of them, I just wanted to know if I'm the only one that feels like I'm losing out on this deal?

A couple things.

1) You should DEFINITELY tell that customer you need to negotiate the terms of that contract.
2) You should NEVER GIVE up ownership rights. You should be asking for 50% of the "Writer's Share" because you are entitled to your royalties. When selling music through an exclusive license you are still the copyright owner of that instrumental, you're just giving your customer permission to use it and create their own work with it. You are NEVER giving up any ownership rights even in EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS LICENSES.
3) Don't let this person low ball you so low. They definitely want a deal and I do believe you should negotiate, but $60 for an exclusive? Get out of here, that's undervaluing your work ESPECIALLY with everything this person is demanding.

Even though there's money on the table don't fall for that. At least I wouldn't.

Hope that helps.

You should definitely negotiate, and you need to have an attorney licensed in your state look at the contract/make any changes if you decide to move forward with the project. However, it sounds like this client is trying to get over on you. You might want to walk away. Don't undervalue your music.

alandisbrassel.com

I disagree with some of the other posters. Don't accept 100% of nothing over 5% of something. There are some simple ways you can shift this deal into a more favorable agreement for both parties.

- Legend, Indie Music Business Blogger "Starving Artist Suggestions"

Back