I have a "publishing" question

datboysc

I'm working with an artist who recently purchased an exclusive beat from me and she getting ready to record a song and get it registered on ASCAP. Now of course we will be coming up with percentages when getting it registered. I'm signed up as a publisher and songwriter with ASCAP. So how should I split that? Is it 50/50?

*****fast foward!*****

An online radio station contacted the same artist to spin a song she previously recorded with a different producer. Is there any way I can be a music publisher of that particular song?

Thanks!

Yes, as you're also a writer on the project. How much is up to you, the artist and the other producer because if he did any alternations to your track he's also a co writer.

Only publishers can get a percentage of the publishing. If they are not registered publishers, someone else is getting that percentage.

Yes it would be 50/50. The song is split up in two components: the lyrics and the composition (beat). The composition is half of the songwriting as well. So half of the songwriting and half of the publishing. Unless of course, like stated above, someone else altered the beat.

Back