I am going to Audio Engineering school and need some copyright advise.

1WORD

Ok so on June 8 i will be attending school at an audio engineering school in my city. My main concern is that one of my teachers or professors will try to steal my sound and reverse engineer my sound and give it to some producers and produce a record without my consent.

I thought of a way to bypass this by creating a non-disclosure agreement with the school and my professors.

I was wondering if anyone had any advise on this situation
Any ideas that you may have are greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Peace.

interesting proposal, however, it won't fly and they will either laugh at you or show you the door or both

most universities and other post-high-school teaching places acquire tacit rights in any work you submit for assessment - i.e. the work can be used in any way the institution sees fit as long as you are credited as the author - those are generally the rules if you want to be assessed no matter where you are in the world

my advice it is to keep copies of everything submitted for assessment and register your rights to be known as the creator of that work

this will stand you in good stead if a teacher at that school decides to publish your work as their own without crediting you at all - apart form the honour code applied to students regarding plagiarism and other forms of academic dishonesty, there is an equally stringent honour code applied to staff to ensure that that doesn't happen but you need to be pro-active in managing your records of all work submitted and of advising administration the moment you think something funny is happening

Ok so from what i understand from what you have suggested, i should copyright my work before i submitted it?

in almost every jurisdiction the act of committing the work to a reproducible medium is sufficient to assert your moral rights ot be acknowledged as the author/creator of that work. In the USA, the Library of Congress provides additional protections by allowing you to register your copyright with them - most courts within the USA prefer this statement of registration over the assertion you would be permitted to use in most other countries

but to answer your main question, yes, registering your copyright simultaneously with submission is the best policy to ensure your rights are protected

Last edited:
Back