How Is Your City/State/Country's Music Scene?

OGBama

With regards to, but not limited to, Hip Hop what is your city's, state's and/or country's music scene like? My city has long had, and does have, an ambivalence toward Hip Hop despite having tons of rappers, DJs, producers, etc. in what is now a fragmented non-scene.

Last edited:
Well, after my city's main soccer team joined the Serie A of the National Championship, many Italian rappers and trappers decided to choose Crotone as a constant place for their tours.
Months ago, in Italy started the trap revolution, which involved the 2 best producers (Sick Luke & Charlie Charles) and several artists like Vegas Jones, Sfera Ebbasta, Tedua, Izi, Dark Polo Gang.
Now, people from all over the world say that Italian trap is the best one, and I agree with that. What about you? You should check it out and tell me what you think.

The scene where I'm originally from ( Fayetteville NC ) is non-existant, I currently live near Austin Texas, the scene here is also relatively non-existent, I plan on moving to Los Angeles pretty soon, many people have told me Atlanta would be better, but I feel as though California is better for non-trap producers and lyricist.

I don't like all of it, and my own town isn't great. But overall it's pretty good..

There's a hiphop scene too. It used to be pretty big, and it's probably gotten bigger but I've lost touch so I couldn't tell you much about it.
There are/were some great acts though, it's generally a bit heavier and edgier than US rap. Dutch is kinda hard to make flow, so you have to get creative to make it work.
The golden era sound is still revered here. Autotune rap never really took off. Trap might be something kids dig here though, but I don't know.

House/Dance is obviously huge here.. a lot of famous EDM producers and DJ's are Dutch and their labels are here. Spinnin Records is Dutch.
But the audience for it.. seems to be mostly abroad nowadays. I guess people here have been hearing that stuff for over 20 years.
There is a healthy underground though, and there has always been. There's just a good infrastructure for this kind of music.

This is also one of those countries that heavily subsidises 'the arts'... but I've not seen that produce anything meaningful in terms of music.. haha.
Dance was always looked down upon by the cultural elites here.. blue collar noise for the plebs. That's changed a bit now because people realised companies like ID&T were incredibly successful with it.

A nice thing about our tiny country is that 'scenes' never really become big enough to stand on their own. Most people just pick and mix whatever they like, and they generally have a pretty good ear for quality.
Of course we get all the shitty pop music, but there's a real market here for music that's a bit different and unique. When I grew up we used to just listen to everything, as long as it wasn't too poppy.. lol.

This all makes me miss Humboldt a lot. Although I haven't really ventured into the San Deigo scene, I'm sure there's something cool here. ...It's just that I met such amazing people and cool artists up in humboldt that I still associate with that scene, ...but I'm like 700 miles away now. :/

So it's probably best that I go see what's hoppin' here in San Diego, but we'll see.

Last edited:
Back