How are you "trying" to $ell your music? How does your plan work? (EDM Producers)

acetheface954

How are you "trying" to $ell your music? How does your plan work? (EDM Producers)

***If there is a thread on this already please direct me to it so that we may save time***

Hi again, guys. Just curious to how some of you EDM producers here on FP are actually selling your tracks. In two years I haven't really sold anything and I'm sure its based on the formula that I use when it comes to getting people to buy into what I am trying to achieve. Or I could just suck lol. This year I want to try a different method. Usually artists promote and then sell their product but I think that won't work with a person such as myself because a potential fan could lose interest or forget a guy like me even exists when the time comes when it is available.

So I developed a business model for myself called PRP (Produce, Register, Promote) for my tracks. The way it works is basically simple. I start with producing what I intend to sell, register my property online to obtain royalties with my distributor, and "then" promote awareness for my work via blog, EDM, and DJ sites. So instead of waiting for the hype to die out I hope to have them like what they hear and either like it on Spotfiy or buy it if they care about it that much from the big online music stores. But in all honesty I'd even be happy if my likes went up on FB. Any significant change is always good.

Back to my question though. How are you guys selling your music? How does your plan work?

My formula is quite simple

I network with people. I find clients and discus what type of music they want and cater to their project. I do that with every genre

Find a market and cater to it.

My formula is quite simple

I network with people. I find clients and discus what type of music they want and cater to their project. I do that with every genre

Find a market and cater to it.

Hmm? So you don't really produce music to listen to. Its more of a soundtrack type of thing right?

I don't know how the EDM demographic consume music exactly so consider this my disclaimer...

But, it seems like the buzz you're creating isn't enough to support your releases.

It sounds as if you're just putting a single out every month or so. Right? What exactly is your "formula"? Be specific.

Right now it's what you should call a "drop and hope" tactic. Tighten up the loose ends on the legal side and then blast the release out to blogs and hope someone likes it enough to buy it. There's much more to selling music than creating just good music. At least, that's the case nowadays. Cyko's formula works well. He specifically notes he builds a relationship with his customers... Do you?

I'm currently developing marketing plans for my record label and the handful of producers I have on the label. They are all planning instrumental Hip Hop projects so we're in a similar boat. You should be looking to figure out your plan too. It seems very simplistic at the moment.

I don't know how the EDM demographic consume music exactly so consider this my disclaimer...

But, it seems like the buzz you're creating isn't enough to support your releases.

It sounds as if you're just putting a single out every month or so. Right? What exactly is your "formula"? Be specific.

Right now it's what you should call a "drop and hope" tactic. Tighten up the loose ends on the legal side and then blast the release out to blogs and hope someone likes it enough to buy it. There's much more to selling music than creating just good music. At least, that's the case nowadays. Cyko's formula works well. He specifically notes he builds a relationship with his customers... Do you?

I'm currently developing marketing plans for my record label and the handful of producers I have on the label. They are all planning instrumental Hip Hop projects so we're in a similar boat. You should be looking to figure out your plan too. It seems very simplistic at the moment.

Well that's just the thing. I'm not creating a buzz at all. I trial and error every so often and thought that maybe it's best if I go to where new music can be heard on a grand scale. mistake. last year it was Pandora and that did not bode well because in order to make a dent I'd have to have millions of plays. weekly! Pandora only works for huge labels because as well all know those labels have rights to millions and millions of music made by millions of artists. it's why artists don't make money from it. you'd have to get billions of plays as an artist on a big label to see anything. sharing ad revenue is a great concept if you are popular.

I was done with the whole "drop and hope" move up until I realized I wasn't dropping music where I should have been dropping it. talking about blogs here. so I'm going to try that route again because I really didn't do it the right way to begin with. Also going to get release some stuff off some DJ pools for sure. Cyko's way of doing is different. he has costumers not fans. But hopefully he'll answer back as to what he does exactly.

hip hop instrumentals you say eh? and this will be driven to the hip hop consumer? I added my email to your mailing list because I'd love to see hip hop fans cater to just beats. in a genre that is run by lyrics it'd be interesting to see if your producers get treated as artists and not just background noise. :-/

Yeah, I'm not fond of the streaming services & the business model. Spotify pay tenths of a penny which I find ridiculous. That's not to say it's their fault, but at the moment the business model isn't, shall we say, efficient.

The issue with blogs (and these sorts of strategies) to try and increase your fan base is that you're relying on someone who doesn't really care that much about your music... They are just trying to attract more readers. So the fact that this is one of the focuses of your strategy is a concern for me. You should be looking to find other ways to attract fans rather than relying on blogs... In my opinion anyway.

You say that customers and fans are different, but you're missing the beauty of what Cyko said. Your fans CAN be your customers. The fact he may be selling his music to a film maker or a rapper, and you're selling direct to fan only changes the fact that his model is B2B, while yours is B2C. The important thing is, is that you're both selling similar products, and you both can have strong relationships with your customers. At the moment, it doesn't seem like you're building a relationship with your fans at all. You bring in fans through blogs and maybe the off chance someone tracks you down after hearing a DJ play you... But after that? How are you retaining their interest and keeping them up to date and more importantly; how are you making the sale?

Yes. At the moment the focus is instrumental projects direct to consumer. Thanks for signing up, I appreciate it. Still a long way before we release the first project as we are actually still sorting out the distribution at the minute. A story which I'm planning on sharing through the mailing list in the future.

Yeah, I'm not fond of the streaming services & the business model. Spotify pay tenths of a penny which I find ridiculous. That's not to say it's their fault, but at the moment the business model isn't, shall we say, efficient.

The issue with blogs (and these sorts of strategies) to try and increase your fan base is that you're relying on someone who doesn't really care that much about your music... They are just trying to attract more readers. So the fact that this is one of the focuses of your strategy is a concern for me. You should be looking to find other ways to attract fans rather than relying on blogs... In my opinion anyway.

You say that customers and fans are different, but you're missing the beauty of what Cyko said. Your fans CAN be your customers. The fact he may be selling his music to a film maker or a rapper, and you're selling direct to fan only changes the fact that his model is B2B, while yours is B2C. The important thing is, is that you're both selling similar products, and you both can have strong relationships with your customers. At the moment, it doesn't seem like you're building a relationship with your fans at all. You bring in fans through blogs and maybe the off chance someone tracks you down after hearing a DJ play you... But after that? How are you retaining their interest and keeping them up to date and more importantly; how are you making the sale?

Yes. At the moment the focus is instrumental projects direct to consumer. Thanks for signing up, I appreciate it. Still a long way before we release the first project as we are actually still sorting out the distribution at the minute. A story which I'm planning on sharing through the mailing list in the future.

I'm with you 100%. m. blogs are still prominent sources for the underground listener. judging from the success artists get from getting featured is a plus for me. whether or not some people (fans, etc.) remember me I'm going to make sure bloggers do. I want them to exclusivity over something I put out just so that we both look good in the process.

see I can't totally agree with fans and customers being one and the same. not totally. I think we used the wrong word to because he calls his "fans" clients not customers. Cyko sounds way more solidified. anyone who refers to his fans as clients must be at a point where he shares a meal with them or something lol. that doesn't sound like a fan to me at all. I mean yeah I'm sure they like what they hear but its not for their own listening pleasure but for customers of Cyko's clients. I have no doubt in my mind that I can build those ties with whomever these tracks will be enjoyed by. I just have to get noticed 1st. not off of luck I want it done because I made the right moves.

and no problem. this is actually something I hope to happen. not just for your label but for anyone who makes a beat that tells a story on its own or just wakes a person up.

I agree with fans/clients not being synonymous. I was using them together because you have to BUILD & RETAIN relationships with whoever you are selling to... The way in which you do it may be different. Obviously, you can't take your fans out for a meal like he may be able to do. But what's stopping you from doing that anyway? Crowdfunding campaigns are known to include "Meal with the band".

May I ask, what you do when you do become noticed by someone? Because retaining a fan is the most important part in my eyes. It's much easier to get a fan to buy again than it is converting a new one to buy.

In regards to the label, it's something that already happens. Old School producers used to send out beat tapes all the time, to the point J Dilla's started to get bootlegged to normal fans... The likes of Madlib release instrumental albums ALL the time. Even DJ Premier's dabbed in to instrumental albums with his "Beats That Collected Dust" series. Instrumental albums actually take up about 70% of what I listen to, so I'm definitely a fan of anyone who does it.

I agree with fans/clients not being synonymous. I was using them together because you have to BUILD & RETAIN relationships with whoever you are selling to... The way in which you do it may be different. Obviously, you can't take your fans out for a meal like he may be able to do. But what's stopping you from doing that anyway? Crowdfunding campaigns are known to include "Meal with the band".

May I ask, what you do when you do become noticed by someone? Because retaining a fan is the most important part in my eyes. It's much easier to get a fan to buy again than it is converting a new one to buy.

In regards to the label, it's something that already happens. Old School producers used to send out beat tapes all the time, to the point J Dilla's started to get bootlegged to normal fans... The likes of Madlib release instrumental albums ALL the time. Even DJ Premier's dabbed in to instrumental albums with his "Beats That Collected Dust" series. Instrumental albums actually take up about 70% of what I listen to, so I'm definitely a fan of anyone who does it.

Lol right I get you. I engage with people who like my tracks all the time. Especially since there are so few of them but that's a whole other story.

When I'm engaged by someone who likes my music I thank them and be on my way not letting them know its up for grabs. I'm guessing what I should be doing is asking them to add me in some way. Great question to ask man. Facebook is great but I think emails work best. I think people hang on to email accounts more than they would a social media site.

Ah so you guys do the "boom bap" kind of hip hop instrumentals.

Have you thought about starting a website/blog? And you should DEFINITELY start a newsletter. That is one thing I tell any musician I meet: start a mailing list. You hit the nail on the head with that. Social media accounts shouldn't be your focus. Mailing lists on the other hand should. People pay way more attention to an e-mail than they do to someone's social media account. If you tweet a link to your track with a very small blurb at 6pm hardly anyone will see it... Send an e-mail and every person on your mailing list will see it... As long as they don't have over-aggressive spam filters which you can and should bypass anyway.

Yeah, the majority do. One dabs in the more experimental electronic Hip Hop stuff too. I reckon he'll be the focus of the label in the next couple of years, actually.

Have you thought about starting a website/blog? And you should DEFINITELY start a newsletter. That is one thing I tell any musician I meet: start a mailing list. You hit the nail on the head with that. Social media accounts shouldn't be your focus. Mailing lists on the other hand should. People pay way more attention to an e-mail than they do to someone's social media account. If you tweet a link to your track with a very small blurb at 6pm hardly anyone will see it... Send an e-mail and every person on your mailing list will see it... As long as they don't have over-aggressive spam filters which you can and should bypass anyway.

Yeah, the majority do. One dabs in the more experimental electronic Hip Hop stuff too. I reckon he'll be the focus of the label in the next couple of years, actually.

I had a website years ago but I was not ready to run it properly so I had it shut down. I still don't think it's the right move for me considering the fact that it wouldn't really have any purpose other than to house all my music without any limitations. I have no merchandise or anything else that would make a person just want to stay on. facebook is my site for now. anyone that detaches themselves from a site like that must really not care to be apart of the technological world so they probably wouldn't like my crazy style of music anyway lol. now a blog would probably be more sufficient because at least then I could talk about everything music related but...I'm not really a talented writer :sigh:. I think I'll see about this mailing list business though. I actually do have a couple of emails from people in the past so I'll try it. thanks for the ideas man. If this doesn't work I've still got one trick under my sleeve. only thing is that it will take a group of 10 local producers to do it with.

how many music journalists do you engage with and have a genuine relationship with???

do this and your music will get the shine it needs to be listened to and brought
but you have to have a a place where ppl can easily buy your music
1.your website
2.through CDbaby/itunes/etc..

how many music journalists do you engage with and have a genuine relationship with???

do this and your music will get the shine it needs to be listened to and brought
but you have to have a a place where ppl can easily buy your music
1.your website
2.through CDbaby/itunes/etc..

Hey Fatal. Honestly there have been three. One demanded $800/mth for continued service and didn't even hear my music yet but promised to get me out there. Sure. The other loved my record and said he'd make my record publicly known for $500. Pass.

Having my music ready and available for sale is super easy. I can be found in all the major stores. My problem is no one having proof their formula will work for me. Hundreds of dollars for a spread on their sites is what they want. Even though it's expensive I don't see money as an issue like that. I get it man. Business is business. My main issue for this year is what guarantee will I have that me putting up the money will benefit me? I've taken enough chances with my money and at this point I need results. I do not bet my money on a horse that lost it for me no more than once. If people start talking money I'd better see a change. If me spending $200 on a month long campaign only gets me 2 FB likes I'm going to lose it lol.

Last edited:
Hey Fatal. Honestly there have been three. One demanded $800/mth for continued service and didn't hear my music yet but promised to get me out there. Sure. The other loved my record and said he'd make my record publicly known for $500. Pass.

Having my music ready and available for sale is super easy. I can be found in all the major stores. My problem is no one having proof their formula will work for me. Hundreds of dollars for a spread on their sites is what they want. Even though it's expensive I don't see money as an issue like that. I get it man. Business is business. My main issue for this year is what guarantee will I have that me putting up the money will benefit me? I've taken enough chances with my money and at this point I need results. I do not bet my money on a horse that lost it for me no more than once. If people start talking money I'd better see a change. If me spending $200 on a month long campaign only gets me 2 FB likes I'm going to lose it lol.

oh having to pay to have your album reviewed on their site I would pass too
I have been cultivating genuine relationships with music journalists that focus on contemporary christian music(about 20 journalists)
I don't plan to release any music w/vocals anytime soon
my plan over the next 2 years is to continue to build my network up
and release my own solo album
as well as one other christian group or solo act (I rather sign a solo act)

I plan on having an amazing infrastructure setup in 24 months starting the count down this fall
which will include
1.music journalists
2.photographers(mostly my wife)
3.venues(mostly local and regional church homes)
4.intense 90 day social media campaign
5. vocal coach
6.small amount of sponsors
7.entertainment lawyer
8. $5,000 for regional ads(and international ad through the internet)
9.at least 10 features on other artists songs/albums
10.Tour bus/van (nothing special)
11.registering 50+ songs under my own publishing company(mostly RnB=Rhythm and bible)
trying to slang those songs to vocalists

there are over 40 items in my infrastructure
^^^^those items in listed are for full songs only

as far as instrumentals
I have to wait till this march and take one month to mix my instrumentals(can't wait to get back into a house)
to send them off to over 50 different licensing libraries
I have sent some music about 2 years ago and get a small..small amount of royalties (hope to beef that up)

if I can't make enough to double my job money in 2 years I'll probably give up the game

not looking to quit my job but just want to double my income

this music business stuff is crazy and isn't easy as I tell my clients
takes time if you want to stay independent

24 to 36 months is a good amount of time to see if you're going to be able to stay in the game
as a artist

I'll probably never stop help artists/producers on the business end I find it very fun and exciting

try direct messaging when running your social media campaign along with that $200 on targeted ads on Facebook

oh having to pay to have your album reviewed on their site I would pass too
I have been cultivating genuine relationships with music journalists that focus on contemporary christian music(about 20 journalists)
I don't plan to release any music w/vocals anytime soon
my plan over the next 2 years is to continue to build my network up
and release my own solo album
as well as one other christian group or solo act (I rather sign a solo act)

if I can't make enough to double my job money in 2 years I'll probably give up the game

not looking to quit my job but just want to double my income

this music business stuff is crazy and isn't easy as I tell my clients
takes time if you want to stay independent

24 to 36 months is a good amount of time to see if you're going to be able to stay in the game
as a artist

I'll probably never stop help artists/producers on the business end I find it very fun and exciting

try direct messaging when running your social media campaign along with that $200 on targeted ads on Facebook

lol it seems like we all are reaching that point where if we do not meet our goals, deadlines, and what have you we'll throw in the towel. but I'm with you. if I can't do I'll teach. why waste knowledge? plus I can always do this as a hobby. after all if you love something and/or good at it why stop? but I have high hopes that I'll make it.

Back