How to split the profits?

Blackmoore5050

Magic Maker
I'm working on an album, and I plan to have other artists (rappers, singers, painters, graphic artists) contribute to this album. The album will not be free. How should i go about compensating these artists? Should they get a portion of the sales? Should they just get paid a flat amount to contribute?

However you decide, that they agree with. That's really it. There are some standards/boiler-plate options, but deals can be structured a lot of different ways. The key, important piece is getting it all in writing, with signatures. Graphic design, packaging, that sort of thing is usually a "work for hire," out-of-pocket expense, either by the hour or per project. Contributing artists, songwriters, producers, ghost writers, etc., etc., can be paid upfront, given points, or a mixture of both; it depends on what you offer and what they accept (negotiation). The important part is a signed agreement, and getting releases from any performers, musicians, etc., for their tracks, so you have no legal worries about rleasing the recording(s).

You may want to limit the "point-spread" (amount of people that will be looking for royalties later), because it can become an accounting nightmare for you.

GJ

I think it depends on your market and how you think you're going to sell. You can also see if the others involved will allow you to use their stuff for free in return for a verse or something along those lines. I'd keep payment of people at a minimum. I also tend to lean towards a flat fee for something rather than percentages of profits.

I'm working on an album, and I plan to have other artists (rappers, singers, painters, graphic artists) contribute to this album. The album will not be free. How should i go about compensating these artists? Should they get a portion of the sales? Should they just get paid a flat amount to contribute?

Split them however you want to split them

Blackmoore,

If it's a work-for-hire situation, pay them up front. A work-around is to have them submit you the music and then make them sign a master use agreement. Stating a split on profits and how often they will get paid based on sales. Something like 50-50 on singles and an overall split on the whole cd being sold. Like percentage based on the total price of the cd 12 artists / price after your percentage off top.

Producers collabing

Alright guys u seem to know what u r talking about and no one is answering my thread and I need to know ASAP, how do producer who collab on a beat through the internet split the profits??

Say me and a producer make a beat and each sell it for $10.00 per lease on our soundclick's...8 leases sell on my page and 2 sell on his. How can we each make sure that we get $50?? Is there anyway we can set up sometype of joint payment method where whenever that specific beat sells, the profit is automatically split and distributed correctly through paypal?

How do producers typically handle this business online?

I'd rather not have to work with the honor system and just believe I am being payed for every purchase made on one of my beats on the other producers page....Thx guys.

Back