How a small musician can get more exposure?

I'm only hanging onto social media like SoundCloud and YouTube, but is there any low-to-no budget method to get more exposure?
Thanks.
Honestly, performing live will get you more fans than any website online. Sitting on the computer I click through songs so quick that someone I haven't really given them a fair opportunity. It sounds horrible, but it is true.

But when I am forced to listen to someone live, I see who they are and their image, I am more likely to buy into them as a musician and a person, then purchase their music.

I'm not a Christian but I even own some Christian hip hop and rock CDs just because the live performances were so good.

Online there are just too many people doing it...it is possible to suddenly go viral, but short of having a celebrity tweet about your music, it's unlikely without other promotion avenues.

JC

Some people suggest collaborating with people of equal or more fame than you, then you get heard by all their fans as well as all your fans.

Cloudkillers is a good place to find collabs, but don't fall into the trap of just doing it to up your soundcloud stats, because 95% of CK comments/likes/ followers aren't that genuine

Well said, guys.
Performing+collaboration will go a LONG way towards standing out from the herd.

Last edited:
Promote on the social media you have already got, (By using the search tool for people in your genre on each platform), collaborate with other musicians, Offering a gift for a recommending your music to a friend, something else to encourage word of mouth. Start a Vlog / video diary of studio sessions etc. Songwriting tips, Lots of things I could be here all day, best of luck with it!

Look into streaming promotion services. These guys help place artist's music in Spotify playlists. There is a HUGE discovery element to it. Now, it isn't low-to-no budget. Good things typically aren't.

PS - I'm not affiliated with anyone who offers these services. Just a thought!

What is your project? Who is your target audience? How do they consume the content you're offering?

Answer those three questions and you should have an idea about how to reach people.

Yes of course, depending on your style of music try sites like HillyDilly and Hype Machine (there are a ton of them out there)

I would highly suggest looking into digital music distribution if you're looking for additional exposure. YouTube and Soundcloud are great resources to start off with but if you continue to progress, getting onto iTunes, Apple Music, Spotify, etc will be the next step for you to take.

If you're looking into distribution as an independent, you have a ton of options to choose from. I've worked in digital music distribution for 6+ years and you need to make sure that you pick a distributor that works WITH you to help market your release, not just throw it into the store with millions upon millions of other releases.

The company I'm currently with, Forj Digital, is a lot more hands on in that way. We work with the artist to make sure the release is uploaded in plenty of time to the stores and then actually talk to the stores to try and get you featured. Getting featured on iTunes or Spotify can and does happen for indie artists -- you just need your distributor to be doing that for you.

If anyone is interested, we're running a promotion right now called #LiveFor5 . We distribute your releases for $5 each, you keep 100% of your revenue and it's just $20 annually. No fees for new stores whatsoever. If you're interested, check it out at Forj Digital, Inc..

Also, if anyone has any general questions about Distribution, I'm happy to answer them

Back