How should a producer gain a fan base?

acetheface954

Please no rudeness or negativity

Hello, all. I am a house music producer. Producers rarely (and I do mean rarely) get seen as artists to every one from industry leaders to the most important aspect of the chain which are the music listeners. This is even more so difficult if you put out records with no vocals. Yes I know we have producers that have done the impossible but they have an edge such as the ability to DJ their very own music or access they have to work-for-hire singers.

So what I'd like to know is how should a producer go about getting fans that will rally behind him/her? I know it starts with good music but how does one convince a person that a producer is an artist in a world where the singer rules? Lyrics are a necessity?

Last edited:
Man, on my life you need to watch this video series on YouTube by DJ Pain. It will explain everything. This is part 1

Last edited by a moderator:
no, the rule is about gratuitous unconnected dropping of music in threads - a link in your sigfile is fine

I think Madeon is really good about creating a picture for his music. If you want to be a producer who acts as an artist, you have to paint a pretty large picture for your music. Which means that people have to feel like they're on more of a journey without the words in the picture. If you tell people what you were aiming for in your production it will give them something to visualize.

I think Madeon is really good about creating a picture for his music. If you want to be a producer who acts as an artist, you have to paint a pretty large picture for your music. Which means that people have to feel like they're on more of a journey without the words in the picture. If you tell people what you were aiming for in your production it will give them something to visualize.

I actually know how to do that but people's minds work differently. they need you to hold their hand. in this case they need a vocalist to tell them what they need to do. what is the song about. hell some songs with lyrics have no direction and they still listen because its an element that they most likely will connect with. madeon does fine work but its nothing different from what others including myself do. some records I produce are emotional, some sound angry, adventurous, and some sound fun for example. but all that really doesn't matter if the person listening 9/10 is asking questions like, "where is the singer"?, why is the intro so long"? true there is a market for music that doesn't need vocals but it's being swallowed by these new school EDM tracks teeming with faceless and nameless singers because songs with vocals have a higher probability rate of getting pop radio play I would imagine. I guess I just wish instrumentals got the same treatment. I mean hell without a beat all you're left with is wind.

I actually know how to do that but people's minds work differently. they need you to hold their hand. in this case they need a vocalist to tell them what they need to do. what is the song about. hell some songs with lyrics have no direction and they still listen because its an element that they most likely will connect with. madeon does fine work but its nothing different from what others including myself do. some records I produce are emotional, some sound angry, adventurous, and some sound fun for example. but all that really doesn't matter if the person listening 9/10 is asking questions like, "where is the singer"?, why is the intro so long"? true there is a market for music that doesn't need vocals but it's being swallowed by these new school EDM tracks teeming with faceless and nameless singers because songs with vocals have a higher probability rate of getting pop radio play I would imagine. I guess I just wish instrumentals got the same treatment. I mean hell without a beat all you're left with is wind.
I wouldn't really focus on what's getting pop radio play right now. There is a market for what you're doing.

I don't remember if we talked about this before, but do you do live shows? Dance music can have great live shows and get you lots of fans if you pull it off. Especially if you live in some bigger cities (Not just Chicago, NY and LA either).

I think the real key you need to start doing is having a good mailing list
to be able to explain the song to your listeners. You already said there's
a market for them.

It looks like you just need to pick up a few marketing skills. A good email
marketing campaign is crucial (NOT email blasting, huge difference)

I wouldn't really focus on what's getting pop radio play right now. There is a market for what you're doing.

I don't remember if we talked about this before, but do you do live shows? Dance music can have great live shows and get you lots of fans if you pull it off. Especially if you live in some bigger cities (Not just Chicago, NY and LA either).

Yes I know that there is a market for obscure styles of house music subgenres. But I'd be crazy not to at least make a few commercially pleasing records. You must be versatile.

No we have never spoken before but don't quote me lol. Dude getting shows in places like NY, LA, and Miami are horrible. You have to have agencies sponsor you. I'm in Miami and I know acts in NY. They get gigs but they are always months apart. The only other alternative getting a gig is renting a place for a night and that is not cheap.

Last edited:
Yes I know that there is a market for obscure styles of house music subgenres. But I'd be crazy not to at least make a few commercially pleasing records. You must be versatile.

No we have never spoken before but don't quote me lol. Dude getting shows in places like NY, LA, and Miami are horrible. You have to have agencies sponsor you. I'm in Miami and I know acts in NY. They get gigs but they are always months apart. The only other alternative getting a gig is renting a place for a night and that is not cheap.
HelpYourMusic seems to know a lot about how to attract a fanbase.

You should ask him for help. His website link is in his signature. He said that he has over 4 million hits on his music page. Perhaps he has the answers you are looking for.

I tried to promote you, but you didn't seem satisfied by what I did. Good luck, man.

HelpYourMusic seems to know a lot about how to attract a fanbase.

You should ask him for help. His website link is in his signature. He said that he has over 4 million hits on his music page. Perhaps he has the answers you are looking for.

I tried to promote you, but you didn't seem satisfied by what I did. Good luck, man.

thanks for trying. can't say that you didn't. I'll check HelpYourMusic's website to see what's up.

Back