How should I go about sending beats out?

I'm 19 now, I've been producing for about 5 years now and I'm just now confident enough in my work where I'm starting to focus on the networking and business side of things. I want to start getting into contact with rappers to try to get some placements but I'm not sure how to approach it. Most of the guys I want to work with are still "relatively" underground (<500,000 plays on their top tracks), and they all have a "inquires" email linked to their soundcloud or twitter. Do I just get straight to it and send beats to that email? Do I introduce myself first? Do I DM them on social media and try to build a relationship and then bring up sending beats? Not to toot my own horn, but I know but shit is good enough to get placements. I just am clueless when it comes to networking and approaching this side of it.

Number 1 when it comes to anything with music. Always have a business plan. Once you have a business plan you'll discover that your work ethic and business ethic will go by much smoother over time. Type out a contract for your beats, if you don't feel like typing there are even some sample music contracts you can find online and you can edit that to your liking. Always have some form of music back up such as Dropbox or Mediafire. Once you have a customer just simply introduce yourself, let them know that you have more beats cooking in the future. That can build a relationship and send him the contract. You can have them download from your personal cloud or email it. Your choice. Just make sure your product is top notch and high quality like any good product from any good business and you shall succeed.

:cheers:

Last edited:
I'm 19 now, I've been producing for about 5 years now and I'm just now confident enough in my work where I'm starting to focus on the networking and business side of things. I want to start getting into contact with rappers to try to get some placements but I'm not sure how to approach it. Most of the guys I want to work with are still "relatively" underground (<500,000 plays on their top tracks), and they all have a "inquires" email linked to their soundcloud or twitter. Do I just get straight to it and send beats to that email? Do I introduce myself first? Do I DM them on social media and try to build a relationship and then bring up sending beats? Not to toot my own horn, but I know but shit is good enough to get placements. I just am clueless when it comes to networking and approaching this side of it.

It's quite simple. You build a friendship first. Would it be ok to just walk up in your home without being invited? No, we'd first meet a few times, feel each other out see if we click and then maybe you can come to a party if I think you're an ok person.

It's the same thing in business. Build the relationship, they'll tell you how they want the beats sent to them.

Back