How to register with ASCAP

metrodollar

What up everyone. I wanted to know if anyone had any info on registering with ASCAP. I am primary a beat maker but also a producer. I wanted to know what is the best way to go about registering with ASCAP as a producer? I am not sure which option to choose and needed some feeback thanks.

there more for registering songs to recieve royalties. im with bmi.
i think using something like cd baby is better for nebies

its not rocket science kid.
are you trying to register a song or a beat

beat - library of congress
song - published

I am trying to register my beats. Come on son rocket science.....lol...yo ya boi is new to this part of the game. just trying to get some good feedback and knowledge. I appreicate the feedback though.

Not worth joining any PRO (performing rights organization) unless you're getting airplay or TV airplay, selling CDs etc. Another reason to join would be so they could hook you up with people who are looking for beats or colabos.

Sign up as a writer and a publisher so you'll get 100% of the performance royalty.

---------- Post added at 10:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 AM ----------

What up everyone. I wanted to know if anyone had any info on registering with ASCAP. I am primary a beat maker but also a producer. I wanted to know what is the best way to go about registering with ASCAP as a producer? I am not sure which option to choose and needed some feeback thanks.

Metrodollar,

Maybe this will help you along with your registration. Good luck!

Last edited:
ASCAP or BMI are going to be your two choices for a performance rights organization. The other in the United States is SESAC, however that org is essentially by invite only.

Before you register your music with a PRO, you'll want to make sure you've registered it with the US Copyright Office. You can fill out forms the old fashioned way and send them in, or you can file online using eCo. copyright.gov/eco/

You dont have to wait for your Coypright registration to be processed, but you should at least file it. If your music is used unlawfully and you would like to open a lawsuit for damages, you wont get anywhere without a copyright registration record.

Thanks dsr_ceo great information. I ended up calling ASCAP and they suggested the same thing as you did.

For future reference you can sign up with both BMI & ASCAP as a Publisher under different names. Just found out that ASCAP doesn't pay performance royalties for internet radio spins. They only recognize the terrestrial stations, but Sound Exchange pays digital royalties to licensed internet stations. And BMI will pay performance royalties to licensed internet stations. Our station is also licensed and we have shows where we play indie music. As far as licensed stations go, hopefully they are submitting playlists. But that's another topic within itself.

ASCAP doesn't pay performance royalties for internet radio spins. They only recognize the terrestrial stations, but Sound Exchange pays digital royalties to licensed internet stations. And BMI will pay performance royalties to licensed internet stations.

So you said ASCAP doesnt pay royalties for internet radio spins and BMI does. Is there anything BMI doesnt do that ASCAP does?

Not worth joining any PRO (performing rights organization) unless you're getting airplay or TV airplay, selling CDs etc. Another reason to join would be so they could hook you up with people who are looking for beats or colabos.

I agree.

If you do not understand the point of signing up today, you should not even worry about it. Once you get a deal that requires you to be registered with ASCAP, someone with experience will walk you through the process.

Just focus on the music.

Back