How to promote your music - here are some working methods

Great post for those getting into business/marketing, its definably overlooked alot... I suggest reading "Tribes" by Seth Godin, to help establish an Identity and a following as an artist.

One thing about the market these days is that it's being flooded with new musicians everyday, so you have to be vigilant in what you do and your marketing program in order to stand out above the rest. The next time you get the urge to watch Adult Swim, fight it! There's to many ears out here dying to hear our music...provide it! Bless...

-Sonny Karson

Lincoln ne's up and coming producer.

Need beats... Head over to thehitbrainiac.com. Fell free to contact me anytime for exclusive rights. Genre of music i produce range from hip hop, r&b to pop.

- Develop a clear visual identity. Cloning won't help here.

- Do not overload people with tons of text, artificial photo shoots and countless pixelated youtube videos. Music first.

- Buy ads. Very easy, very cheap and offers endless possibilities on the web.

- Buy ad space in music magazines to massively increase your chances to get featured by their editors (yes, that's how it works - also online).

- Adapt the marketing activities to a specific audience (the smaller the better), not the world.

A VERY important tool is a properly sorted mailing list ("newsletters") for different audiences: press & taste-makers, bloggers, fans, previous customers, etc.

This is absolutely essential and much more effective than passive promotion.

Same here, do not spam!

Oh and another thing might also help. Throw all your "good enough" productions away and hide them in a safe. Present yourself with absolutely killer productions only. It's a very easy step.

:)

All good points but here are some additions:

When buying online ad space try to avoid pay-per click services such as google ad-words unless you are absolutely sure the keywords are going to generate "meaningful clicks", which means your target audience are the ones clicking and not someone searching google for, lets say pizza, as this will not give you the results you want! Even a $0.01 per click compaign can add up quick if you have a high click through rate. Remember the internet can generate thousands of clicks per day. Like he said the smaller the target audience the better, espeacialy for pay-per click ad campaigns!

Your gonna want to concentrate your ad budget on sites that cater to the music industry (or film if your looking for placements). FP, for instance, would be a site you wanna target. There are many so try and do your research before purchasing. Your gonna want to get ads on a site that is getting a healthy amount of traffic. Alexa.com is a great tool for finding this info. It breaks down the statistics for whatever site you please. It will give you page ranks, demographics, and search analytics that include high impact search results! All of these can help you make more informed decision on what sites to spend money on and which to avoid!

Ditto on the magazine ads. This is going to be more expensive than web adverts but will greatly increase your exposure as well as provide possible networking opportunities!

And on the Google Ad-Words. Google provides excellent developer tools to research what keywords are going to give you the most clicks as well as who is clicking those ads (!Very important as you don't want keywords an old lady looking for shoes is going to click on, this will cost you and you won't acheive the desired results!). Its also important to note that the google developer tools are free for anyone with a google account to use. YOU DO NOT NEED TO USE ADWORDS TO USE THESE TOOLS!

If you do start a blog you are going to want to do some form of SEO or Search Engine Optimization, to ensure you are getting the maximum number of visits. SEO can be very complicated and time consuming, so for most, I recommend seeking a professional (it may not cost as much as you think! Shop arround), for many though this is still outside their budget. I will make a post for that later as it is a beast in its own right! For now I will try and cover some of the basics. Many of them I have already covered! Remember those google tools I was telling you about? These tools can be used to determine keywords and topics to blog about. In addition, you should be adding tags to all of your post. I'm sure you've been on some blog and have noticed a list of keywords at the bottom of the post. These tags are what many search engines use to provide accurate results on a search. Having the right tags can be the difference between front page on google and page #13. BTW most searchers don't make it past the first 2 pages of results before they edit their search, so it is very important to get as high as you can in the results! As I said earlier I will touch more on SEO in another forum topic. For now, if you have any questions feel free to pm me!

I love having the whole "blog" type site but I can't get rid of the damn spammers that constantly spam our comments under each posts. Do you guys know of any wordpress plugins or such that work to keep the spam comments to a minimum.

Back