How to promote your music - here are some working methods

U can also take ur beats make a remix tape and get it put on other blogs with alot of followers. Just have cover art that promotes u as an independent artist.

Another tip that I just came across that helps A LOT is hiring a publicist. Generally they can create materials for you to approach every level of media. Depending on your budget it can either be expensive or relatively cheap. I came across this company Major Buzz PR who will put together a press kit for you for $100; that's the cheapest I've ever seen and judging by their client list, they're pretty thorough too. here's the site: http://www.majorbuzzpr.com

- Develop a clear visual identity. Cloning won't help here.

- Do not overload people with tons of text, artificial photo shoots and countless pixelated youtube videos. Music first.

- Buy ads. Very easy, very cheap and offers endless possibilities on the web.

- Buy ad space in music magazines to massively increase your chances to get featured by their editors (yes, that's how it works - also online).

- Adapt the marketing activities to a specific audience (the smaller the better), not the world.

A VERY important tool is a properly sorted mailing list ("newsletters") for different audiences: press & taste-makers, bloggers, fans, previous customers, etc.

This is absolutely essential and much more effective than passive promotion.

Same here, do not spam!

Oh and another thing might also help. Throw all your "good enough" productions away and hide them in a safe. Present yourself with absolutely killer productions only. It's a very easy step.

:)

The highlighted text is key, as a marketing major it's evident that who you choose as your target market is extremely crucial and how effectively you communicate with them even more so. No, its not an overnight process and requires lengthy research but it's typically good to write out a strategic plan and it's even better to execute it properly by doing your research. This entails finding out who your key competitors are, finding out what they are doing that you are not and lastly how can you position yourself in a way that differentiates your product (in this case music) from the competition. The business unfortunately is about who you know....that and how much money you've got to spend and if its none then you better know all the right people lol pretty cut throat but its the truth.

Last edited:
Traffic

With the blog, how do you drive traffic to your blog? I have never thought about actually starting one, mostly because I am not too sure what anyone would really be interested in reading from me, and I would hate to invest all the time writing to myself...although maybe that's the wrong stance to take.

Also, I created a youtube account for myself, and uploaded one video, which is just an image still against one of my remixes. I don't really know how else to put my songs up there in an appealing and again, "traffic attracting" way. I also don't own a digital video camera which probably puts me at a disadvantage.

I really just need help with the finer points of driving more of the RIGHT type of traffic to my music/website.

Thanks in advance!

I just recently decided to join forums and spread my tracks out. I don't really do blogs. I'd like to but I have horrible grammar.

i think as a producer it would be good to just make business cards with your soundclick/website/socialnetworking links on it and your name and just hand them out to people

and stickers on stop signs and stuff like that because people will be curious as to what it is if they just see it around somewhere

---------- Post added at 02:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

also remixes of others songs with a vocal tags of yours gives you promo because people will be much more likely to listen if its a remix of someone they've heard of

Last edited:
Back