How much royalties should a singer get?

It really depends on what you both agree on when you register the record (May it be with ASCAP, BMI, SESAC, SOCAN etc.)
The way I always do it ( to be fair for everyone) is if theres 1 beat maker and 1 lyricist the split will be 50/50 = 50% Composer, 50% Author.
The more people involved in the record CREATIVELY, the more the split is divided.

That's ONE way to do it. At the end of the day it is what you agree on.

the following is a guide on how to decide if you need to negotiate a royalty: remember that this is about business, not about being a nice guy

two questions determine the answer to this

1) did you pay them to perform for the recording? (i.e. work for hire)?
2) did they perform a pre-written part (I don't mean the lyrics)?

QuestionYesNo
1No royalty - they have already been compensated
They are permitted to claim Performance rights in the amount you agree
2They are permitted to claim Performance rights in the amount you agree
They are permitted to part of the composition royalties and the performance royalties as you agree

Combining the responses we then end up with a slightly more complex arrangement

Question2
Answeryesno
1yesPerformance rights only
Performance rights only
noPerformance rights only
They are permitted to part of the composition royalties and the performance royalties as you agree

As to the actual royalty amount to agree it comes down to what contribution to the final product the singer is making.

When it comes to performance royalties these are fixed numbers and an agreed percentage should be set down to reflect the overall performance contribution
- do not allow yourself to be conned into giving 50% if the only other performer is you
-- define what roles you performed in the creation of the backing
--- drums
--- bass
--- chords/keys
--- sweeteners (strings, brass, etc)
--- guitar
-- each part is equal weighting so give the vocalist a share equal to their contribution. In my scenario above that would mean that they receive a 1/6 share or 16.67% or the performance royalties

When it comes to composition royalties, you need to be honest about the musical contribution they have made to the track
- if they are rapping their is little to none, as they have not contributed to the musical aspects of the track
- if they create a melody that makes or break the recording then give a fair % but no more than 50% of the music credits
- if they contributed lyrics then they get the lyricists share, split with the other lyricists

Last edited:
That's totally up to you but mostly it's a 50/50 split with the vocalist depending on whether they charged you a recording fee or not. If they charge you a recording fee then you have the right to draft a contract which they must sign to agree on whatever terms you give them but if there's no recording fee then it's 50/50

It really matters on who wrote what, so if you wrote the music 50% and if the singer/songwriter wrote the lyrics 50%. But if you wrote some of the lyrics as well it can get down to what parts like this. The foundation of the song is the Hook / Course which normally comes in 3-4 times during the song so that would be 25%. The Verse normally comings in 2 times in a song so that's going to be 10% each and the Bridge is only going to be 5% because it's only play once.

the following is a guide on how to decide if you need to negotiate a royalty: remember that this is about business, not about being a nice guy

two questions determine the answer to this

1) did you pay them to perform for the recording? (i.e. work for hire)?
2) did they perform a pre-written part (I don't mean the lyrics)?

QuestionYesNo
1No royalty - they have already been compensatedThey are permitted to claim Performance rights in the amount you agree
2They are permitted to claim Performance rights in the amount you agreeThey are permitted to part of the composition royalties and the performance royalties as you agree

Combining the responses we then end up with a slightly more complex arrangement

Question2
Answeryesno
1yesPerformance rights onlyPerformance rights only
noPerformance rights onlyThey are permitted to part of the composition royalties and the performance royalties as you agree

As to the actual royalty amount to agree it comes down to what contribution to the final product the singer is making.

When it comes to performance royalties these are fixed numbers and an agreed percentage should be set down to reflect the overall performance contribution
- do not allow yourself to be conned into giving 50% if the only other performer is you
-- define what roles you performed in the creation of the backing
--- drums
--- bass
--- chords/keys
--- sweeteners (strings, brass, etc)
--- guitar
-- each part is equal weighting so give the vocalist a share equal to their contribution. In my scenario above that would mean that they receive a 1/6 share or 16.67% or the performance royalties

When it comes to composition royalties, you need to be honest about the musical contribution they have made to the track
- if they are rapping their is little to none, as they have not contributed to the musical aspects of the track
- if they create a melody that makes or break the recording then give a fair % but no more than 50% of the music credits
- if they contributed lyrics then they get the lyricists share, split with the other lyricists

Great response. Did you write that or did you get it from somewhere? If so send me the link so I can have a look please? But if you wrote it that's good info.

Back