How much to pay vocalist for non exclusive acapella use??

Madmartigan

I downloaded some vocals from an acapella website. Basically you're free to use them on any promotional or non-profit track but if you wish to use the acapella in a commercial release, you have to either make an offer (A one off 'buy out' fee) or give a percentage of royalties.
I decided on the buy out option but i'm not really sure what to offer. Bare in mind these vocals are still free to use by anyone else.
Any suggestions??
Should it reflect the amount of money the vocalist might of made from the royalty percentage? I probably would have offered 25% if i'd gone the royalties route.

It would depend on the vocalist as well as whether it's a whole song or just a verse or hook, etc. To put it into perspective, a really good verse and hook from a relatively unknown rapper could be in the $150-400 range.

I wouldn't buy it. for all you know that record might cost more to promote than it will generate sales. I would offer them 50% of everything that comes from the record. not only will you be putting out something good but you'll have a singer at your disposal who will work with you again. and hey if you think 50/50 is too much then give them 40. that sounds just as fair.

side note: omg you have to tell me what site this is. I am very interested.

Back