How much to charge for beats to small artist

shelyksit

Hey guys. I've been meeting some guys in the ATL that's working with artist out there and I got a few contacts. I have no placements or music business experience, I just have beats. This might be a good opportunity to get me going. These are not big artist I would be selling to so I wanted to to know how much a no name producer should charge small time artist for beats. I'll be registering with BMI by the way.

The simple answer is: Whatever you feel is fair.
You need to create a contract that states that if the song(s) containing your beat(s) take off, you are fairly compensated.

You should mos def read up on royalties so you can gain an understanding of how that works and then take a look to see what other producers in your market are charging.

I believe most producers nowadays try and get as much upfront as possible and try to retain publishing and songwriting royalties/credits.

As a beatmaker with a 'desirable' sound you may find that the 'hobbyist' market may be approaching you more and so it may be more lucrative than the 'professional' market for you. Depending on the route you choose, you may have to adjust your prices accordingly to sustain a viable business if that's your goal...

Good Luck

A lot of no-name producers are charging $5-$15 per lease and $20-$50 for an exclusive license.

Bigger names in the Internet beat marketplace are charging $25-$35 for a lease and $200-$1000 for an exclusive license.

-Ki
Salem Beats

A lot of no-name producers are charging $5-$15 per lease and $20-$50 for an exclusive license.

Bigger names in the Internet beat marketplace are charging $25-$35 for a lease and $200-$1000 for an exclusive license.

-Ki
Salem Beats
I feel that's WAYYYYY too low for an exclusive. You're giving away the full rights and stems of the beats for less than $100? I feel alot of producers need to know their worth more.

I feel that's WAYYYYY too low for an exclusive. You're giving away the full rights and stems of the beats for less than $100? I feel alot of producers need to know their worth more.

I'm not here to make suggestions or argue the merits of how people value themselves -- these are just the average numbers for different producer categories.

At the end of the day, some of these no-name producers are happy that anyone wants to buy their music at all.

-Ki
Salem Beats

to me those are internet prices which 99% of new producers use ONLY
if you make true relationships with up and coming artists you can attach more worth to your instrumentals
I never post exclusive options at my beat store
exclusive means to me that no one has heard the beat but few select people
I use my mailing list to offer exclusive tracks to certain artists that I have built relationships with

Last edited:
Back