How to market my beats without being a 'TYPE BEAT' producer?

the.boy

Yo

Im new to selling beats, and producing in general. I don't want to be another one of those 'Type beat producers' because i always see them getting hate, and I want to produce with my own sounds and not have another artists name on my music, if that makes sense? But then my question is how do i market my beats? Lets say i upload 50 beat to my website, youtube, etc, artists will be looking for say a 'drake type beat'. I got beats similar to that chill sound that drake has, but i also got beats that are not like drake at all, so how do i market the beat similar to drakes without naming it as 'DRAKE TYPE BEAT' and having drake pictured all over my stuff. Does that make sense? Probably not. I just dont know how to get the right beat to the right artist without having other artists names and pictures all over my stuff. Any ideas?

You just have to go your way, and reach out to people. Try to find at least 5 artists that match your producing style, offer them some free stuff (not much), build relationships with them. I know it doesn't seem to helpful, but relationships are very important.

Shoot music videos to your beats and have a budget to promote them. This is the future. Guys do the "type of beat" thing because it's cheap, but really it's killing your brand. Once other producers start seeing how famous these other producers are getting all of that "type of beat" shit is going out the window.

Sound design, music theory & tons of experience then.

I used to think some theory wasn't necessary, before realizing everything in this hobby is music theory related in the first place.
Even the technology in edm.

Shoot music videos to your beats and have a budget to promote them. This is the future. Guys do the "type of beat" thing because it's cheap, but really it's killing your brand. Once other producers start seeing how famous these other producers are getting all of that "type of beat" shit is going out the window.

Totally agree with you. The 'type beat' guys drop a new beat like everyday, it going to be hard to compete with that. This would be easier if i had maybe a group of producers on my side. I will look into this more thanks man

Yeah the instrumental market is big as far as I know. Ive seen producers with a massive fan bases.
Im thinking of doing it myself, starting to direct videos and release full beat tapes/albums.

One of the best business models to use as an effective marketing strategy is to go directly after your competitors audience.

If the "type beat" producers are killing it and they have a big audience on different platforms the best thing for you to do would be to go after their fans, using ads on the platforms they are on and targeting just their audience.

If you know that potential buyers are starting to hate the whole "type beat" marketing they see, your ad to their audience should speak directly to them about how they feel about being bombarded with "type beats" marketing.

A good headline could be something like.

Are you sick and tired of being bombarded by "type beat" producers?

All the things you hear buyers complaining about are the exact same things that you should mention in your ads so that they see that you are different and that you understand what their problems are.

You will build trust quicker and your target audience will see you understand their problems.

You see a huge percentage of producers go about marketing the wrong way. It's not even their fault they just copy what they see without understanding the process.

The "type beat" advertising you see is an age old marketing tactic which leverage s celebrity status. It's a tried and tested method that works in any field.

It's really easy to do with beat selling because you don't need to talk to the celebrity to use their name and images and that's why it has been done to death!

If you wanna be different from other producers, your number one priority is to understand the problems your potential buyers have.

If you don't want rappers who are looking for free beats, you have to state that upfront.

It's a ballsy move to make a claim like that but it will make you stand out from everyone else.

I just had a thought of domain nofreebeats.com lol

Just that name alone will kill all the freebie seekers and it will raise a few eyebrows too right?

But people know right out the gate there's no free beats here.

Does that make sense ?

A lot of the time you will hear you need to build a relationship with your audience. But you rarely hear how to build and grow an audience the right way.

The right way on paper is pretty simple.

Don't speak like a seller, speak like a buyer.

So in terms of attracting a rapper to build a relationship with them, you better no what their problems are! You have to understand their fears, you have to know exactly what bugs them when they get bombarded by producers touting killer beats and hot beats.

You have to be 100% sure that when you approach a rapper and he sees your message he is saying "yes" every step of the way in the buying process.

If you don't tackle the problems they face first, sales won't come easy! but if you go straight in with their biggest fears and offer a solution you give yourself a chance of building a solid relationship fast and at the same time making yourself the authority in your field.

So first off you have to work out the fears your buyers have, I've seen a few in this thread already that could be used and turned into articles that speak specifically to potential buyers.

Another thing that works is to align yourself with people in your field who aren't your direct competition.

Club owners, promoters, radio dj's, bloggers, labels & social media stars are all good connections to have in your arsenal because all of those connections will allow a rapper to see the value in building a relationship with you.

You've taken your business to a different level. You can offer additional services and hook ups that a rapper needs. They can see the value in you in more ways than one.

Your giving them better bonuses than the traditional buy 1 beat get another free deal.

What does a rapper want? Exposure + Gig's right ?

If you can offer that to a rapper, how much do you think they would pay for those additional services even though you aren't selling those connections to them?

They'll see you as a complete package because you have the ability to possibly further their careers in something they are passionate about.

Does that make sense?

Cool

So how do you go about doing this?

Well the quickest way to do this is to use that same leverage technique discussed earlier.

Get yourself in the news fast!
Yup, create a press release.

There are a lot of places you can get a press release from and some of these services will get your PR published in 300 different online /offline newspapers + Google news.

This stuff straight up works when it's done right and you have the right message.

Let's say your press release ends up in Huffington Post and fox news (100% doable)

Don't you think that when you contact people to work alongside you they're not gonna take you seriously? Especially if your dropping Huffington Post, google news and fox links on em about your visions in changing the beat selling game, or you tackle the whole "type beat scandal"?

This is nothing new, I just don't see it being used in this game.

Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Anyways...

You could drop the same links on rappers too, while everyone's dropping links to their sites, soundclick and myflashstore profiles etc. Your dropping news sites on em speaking directly to them about their fears and offering solutions.

It doesn't matter if you love or hate the news, it's a powerful platform to be on. So it would be a wise decision to take advantage of it.

As for targeting producers with large fanbases on fb, twitter, instagram & YouTube it really isn't that hard to do these days and fb is real cheap especially if you use video. you can get clicks for 0.04 and less. Same with YouTube instream ads cheap clicks all day long straight at your competitors fanbase.

If you have money to use on ads and press releases and building yourself as an authority backed by credible ;) organizations use it.

You will reach 1000's of buyers daily and quickly over some of the old methods which are dead in the water.

I still see posts on forums telling producers to try to rank for "free beats" & "type beats" etc but just how many producers are gonna hit the top spot for a "drake type beat" On YouTube and google?

There's only 10 slots on Google and the top 3 get played the most.

The top spot has 1 drake type beat which has over 1 million plays and 70,000 subs.

That ain't easy to beat if your just starting out! what is easy to do is to target that one video with an instream ad for around 0.5 cents. Google are giving away ads vouchers like water.

$25 bucks will give you $100 ad spend that's pretty good leverage, You 3xed your budget !

Run that ad at $5 a day for 20 days and your probably looking to reach anywhere between 5000 to 10,000+ potential buyers who are into drake type beats.

That's $25 bucks well spent especially if you get new subs on your YouTube channel as well visits to your site and some possible sales!

Some producers give up and get frustrated because of outdated methods and seeing it's the new year I wanted to offer some different approaches that are tried and tested and proven models to follow.

Last edited:
Hi.

Marketing your beats and getting traffic without riding the current trend isn't hard.

The easiest, most straightforward way is to pay for advertising.

Ask any of the guys who make the biggest returns from beat sales and I guarantee you that they will all tell you they spend money on advertising.

That said, I think this thread is more about getting "free marketing" and "free advertising" and the fact is that if you truly want to see results from selling anything online you need to approach it as a business and be prepared to invest in advertising. ~ Or settle for riding the wave of the current "free traffic" trend until people start checkin for you by name. Which may take a bit longer. :)

If you do decide to invest in your beat selling business here's a few tips:

- Facebook ads are an affordable option to get started with. You can build a campaign for as little as $5 and use it to find a marketing strategy that works.

- A lot of websites visited by your target audience use adsense ads on their sites in an effort to monetize their sites. You can use adsense and bid on the ads that show on those sites specifically.

- There are tons of marketing videos on Youtube that cover adsense and advertising on the web and how to maximize your results so mos def watch a few.

One last thing: Don't believe the hype. A dope beat is a dope beat at the end of the day..regardless of what its called.

Good luck.

$.02

Last edited:
Regarding Either Two's response: This is the best and most detailed response to a topic I needed that exact advice on. Thank you very much for this!

Last edited:
Sorry to dig up this old post. SFTRXX, can you provide some more insight on how to use paid advertising?

Last edited:
Back