How many songs should you make before promoting and marketing?

famfu

Start promoting after the first song you think is good enough?
Wait until you have a handful of songs so a listener can explore your library?
Or wait until you have at least one full and solid album?

Hard to sit on Songs you think are good and not want feedback and potential fans
But I wonder if its a quality over quantity thing, or just promote right out of the gate, or keep a bunch of songs unheard until the right time to promote or you die and no one hears them?

Would like to hear others thoughts on the subject.

I am trying to finish a 10 to 12 song album before any real promo but still upload some tracks I dont think will make the album.

Obviously there's not one set number, it depends on what your overall game plan is. If you have one single that's truly amazing and catchy, you should promote it regardless of how deep your discography is. If you have a musically complex album/project that you think a lot of people will get into, promote it. If you're unsure, get some honest advice on whether or not it's worth putting some cash into it. It's possible the investment might be better spent on gear or a sound engineer or a 401K or a new bbq grill, etc. If you don't... just keep making tunes, networking (especially locally), and improving in general.

promote it if it's quality. It has to be mastered at a professional level and be musically/lyrically appealing. That's really it. It can be a single, EP, or full album but I wouldn't drop a full length album until there's a good following/buzz. That's quite a big project.

Funk junkie hit it on the head.

Push it if its hot.

How will you know if its hot?

People will let you know. Seriously.

Play it for a few people and if its hot (most of the time) people will feel compelled to let you know.

If you get the "ho hum" type of response ~ you got some work to do.

Just my $.02

All good advice (if its quality then it is worth promoting). and if you think its quality and put it out and everyone shits on it, then you may have to go back and reevaluate what you think is quality?

I guess there is a big difference in putting your music out there for feedback to help you grow and get better
and, putting out music you think is solid in the hopes to grow your fan base and opportunities.

In that case I guess the only way to know is to put yourself out there and get some feedback and when you feel you have some quality music then you can go hard on the promotion and marketing, regardless of how many tracks you have.

Back