How long should you promote your dance music single?

acetheface954

In the past I've had a lot of setbacks when it came to releasing music because I had such poor business tactics. Man I mean I've been through it all.

- Releasing music that didn't mesh well with my genre's scene (house music),
- Using bad promotion services,
- Pay to play scams,
- No way of tracking plays/sales (if any)
- Paying for followers/likes because I was naive enough to think this was the way to go,
- Depending on word of mouth or my skills, and the list goes on.

With that said, bad business decisions are what led me to where I am today and without consistently promoting the right way I was never able to yield any real results. Which brings me to my question. How long should a newcomer promote their dance music single? I'm thinking three months is a great length of time to get the ball rolling on a would be career. If anyone has thoughts on this please share.

initial push is about 4 weeks with lots of saturation promotion i.e. multiple outlets, multiple times a day

follow this with a further 4 weeks of consistent promotion, i.e. multiple outlets, at least once a day

follow this with a further 5 weeks of tailored promotion, i.e. several outlets that are targeted to your niche audience at least once every other day

which gives you a 13 week cycle, aka a quarter of the year or 3 months

the above is based on observations of big acts promoting new releases where I live in Sydney, NSW, Australia

multiple outlets means
  • advertising in/on
    • print
    • radio
    • television
    • pay tv
    • websites
    • blogs
    • youtube including releasing promotional videos
    • social media bursts (twitter, instagram, facebook, etc)
    • other avenues
  • interviews in/on
    • print
    • radio
    • television
    • pay tv
    • websites
    • blogs including social media (twitter, instagram, facebook, etc)
    • youtube - the making of, in conference with, and various other interview type posts
    • other avenues

i.e the secret is to be diversified in your promotion not selective.

To get into print look at local/regional/state music publications that are published weekly. Expect to buy advertising space in exchange for the interview

similar things go with the other avenues (buy advertising space in exchange for the interview):
  • radio: use college radio and community radio as your initial transmission medium (a donation to operating costs would be normal here)
  • television: use college and community access television as your initial transmission medium (a donation to operating costs would be normal here)
  • pay tv is less a target until you have a buzz a you will only be able to get ion when you can afford to buy advertising space
  • websites like fp let you buy advertising space at a discount if you are a member of their forums (93% off according to the current promotion)
  • blogs: submit and hope
  • youtube entirely in your hands and your channel and anyone else's channel that you can get to pick it up
  • social media is in your hands also - you need to prepare daily releases that push your product at least 4 weeks in advance - you can't afford to be scrambling to put this together on a day to day basis as you will be engaged in other activities promoting the release, although you can add unscheduled tweets reflecting on your recent interview/promotional activities

initial push is about 4 weeks with lots of saturation promotion i.e. multiple outlets, multiple times a day

follow this with a further 4 weeks of consistent promotion, i.e. multiple outlets, at least once a day

follow this with a further 5 weeks of tailored promotion, i.e. several outlets that are targeted to your niche audience at least once every other day

which gives you a 13 week cycle, aka a quarter of the year or 3 months

the above is based on observations of big acts promoting new releases where I live in Sydney, NSW, Australia

multiple outlets means
  • advertising in/on
    • print
    • radio
    • television
    • pay tv
    • websites
    • blogs
    • youtube including releasing promotional videos
    • social media bursts (twitter, instagram, facebook, etc)
    • other avenues
  • interviews in/on
    • print
    • radio
    • television
    • pay tv
    • websites
    • blogs including social media (twitter, instagram, facebook, etc)
    • youtube - the making of, in conference with, and various other interview type posts
    • other avenues

i.e the secret is to be diversified in your promotion not selective.

To get into print look at local/regional/state music publications that are published weekly. Expect to buy advertising space in exchange for the interview

similar things go with the other avenues (buy advertising space in exchange for the interview):
  • radio: use college radio and community radio as your initial transmission medium (a donation to operating costs would be normal here)
  • television: use college and community access television as your initial transmission medium (a donation to operating costs would be normal here)
  • pay tv is less a target until you have a buzz a you will only be able to get ion when you can afford to buy advertising space
  • websites like fp let you buy advertising space at a discount if you are a member of their forums (93% off according to the current promotion)
  • blogs: submit and hope
  • youtube entirely in your hands and your channel and anyone else's channel that you can get to pick it up
  • social media is in your hands also - you need to prepare daily releases that push your product at least 4 weeks in advance - you can't afford to be scrambling to put this together on a day to day basis as you will be engaged in other activities promoting the release, although you can add unscheduled tweets reflecting on your recent interview/promotional activities

jesus. I can't afford to run a campaign like that. the best I can do is 30 days with three different types of promotion ideas. to do what you're considering I would have to have about $5k to put together when all I'll have is about $1k.

Last edited:
Back