How long (days) should you wait for contracts to be signed?

G

A question to all those that deal with contracts and negotiations. If you have a contract you sent to a client what is your default amount of days in which they have to sign and return?

I've recently got into a sitaution with a few clients where Im getting the "oh imma send it, imma send it..." and time contines to press on. The contracts were time stamped (meaning the date it was written) so If I send something Jan 3,2012 and dont recieve it until Feb 15th, 2012 that should be null and void.

I would think that maybe a week would suffice (7 business days) for a client to sign and send. The funny thing is, the signing only takes a few minutes because the client can scan a copy into the computer and email it back so that the financial obligation can be filled.

Advice?

I work with a lot of clients paperwork never goes more than 2 weeks without being signed. I understand these bigger companies are working with Composers/marketing companies/graphic designers etc

Sometime things take a little time....

I never make any of my contracts time sensitive. In you situation if the client is bsing then move on... When I treat music like real estate. I shop music to multiple clients and I let the clients know this.. What this does (for me at least) is bring more serious clients. I also always collect a non refundable down payment

Of course some things take more time. But with my current situation its a matter of a client signing and sending (via scan in)/Mailing so that the next stage of business can occur. Days continue to pass. I shop my material to multiple clients & potentials as well. Not all contracts are time sensitive. But If I send you something on Monday, Friday is a decent amount of time to at least scan it in.

Me being the "Boss" I control the terms and how I wish my material to be distributed and returned. Because it gets to the point of "Man I really want this track." The client agrees to the price/terms verbally(email/chat) and then when its time to sign paperwork it takes a decade....I dont understand this.

you could try ... echosign.com... and u wont have anymore problems..of course ull have to pay to use their services but makes life alot easier..

ppl probably over-spend and don't have the money they promised you they would pay for the track so they are waiting for their next paycheck to roll in so they can pay you for the track..
common thing ppl do all the time with ulitilites,rent,car note,etc....
that's why I offer budget/saving training for indie artists and label one the hardest things for ppl to do is budget
KEEP ROLLING PASS THAT FOOTLOCKER AND THAT BURGER KING,COME ON DON'T EVEN LOOK AT THE SIGN lol
https://rightsignature.com/ is a great service too
if you need help with saving and budgeting you can contact me by clicking on the banner in the sig.
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio
Research and Information Gathering Expert

Back