How to get your music heard when you make non-mainstream tracks?

ThaCarterH

I make what I like to call "living room" music. I don't make the kind of music that you bump in a car or play in the club. I make music that you make a cup of earl grey tea and listen to in your living room while wearing a bath robe. (First of all I'd like to state that I'm also talking about getting my music heard locally, not just online, so when answering this remeber that) I always hear people talking about getting a DJ to play your song or get a well known local rapper to rap over it. But unless they have DJs for nursing homes than I doubt a DJ would play my music. And it's unlikely that any rapper in a 200 mile radius of me would want to rap over my stuff. My music is different, it's introspective, it's not something that you hear from some no name 17 year old and think "wow this shit cray" you hear it and think "wtf" But that's just what I make. And there's hundreds of thousands of producers who make different stuff like me. (Flying Lotus, J Dilla, and Larry Fisherman are the first who come to mind) So how do I get my music for open minded listeners out when I live in an area of Rich Homie Quan fans? Not that my music is anything special, or that Rich Homie is bad. But because no one knows who I am. I doubt anyone would give me a fair chance and would probably mistake experimentation for trash. What do you think?

There must be a college radio station broadcasting within your area. Start there. I'd bet they have at least one program per week that plays more experimental indie music. You can see if any shops, bars, or restaurants in your area would play it as in-house music. Think like your listeners.... where would YOU like to hear your music?

" cup of earl grey tea and listen to in your living room while wearing a bath robe."

:victory::victory: Legend!

When it comes to promo though, just think about this, there are more musicians now then ever before!

Already knew that right?

Well musicians are also fans of music so it's probably time then that you started getting your music heard by other local musicians first then if you want to build a local scene? I guess that is what you are already doing online on Future Producers but there are plenty of other networks and methods to try. Way too many for a short forum post but the idea still remains, I share lots of promo techniques through my own content, anyway best of luck, once last thing that I will leave with you when it comes to a local scene, Influence the influencers. meaning, find the people who have influence on your local scene and find ways to influence them!

Look into streaming promotion services that help artists and producers place music on Spotify playlists. There are TONS of different playlists on Spotify that cater to markets that aren't "Top 40" or "Mainstream". What's cool about it is that you could actually make some dough (woohoo) and not to mention the discovery element that comes along with it.

Back