How To Get Started In The Music Business (Musicians Guide)

Hey Fp fam!

In more recent times, I've been running across a lot of musicians who keep asking "How do I get into the music business?" or "How do I get started in the music business?"

Before you can answer that question, you first have to define what is the music business?

The business dictionary defines business as "An economic system in which goods and services are exchanged for one another or money, on the basis of their perceived worth. Every business requires some form of investment and a sufficient number of customers to whom its output can be sold at profit on a consistent basis."

So essentially, the music business is just a business that profitably exchanges music for money, goods, or services.

It's important to make this clear because many people fail to recognize the music business is just like any other business. It just happens to sell music.

So back to the first question "How do I get into the music business?"

This is how you "get in".

Once you make a conscious effort to take care of the business of your music you are in the music business. This doesn't mean you have a multi-million dollar company yet. It doesn't mean your gross sales are $500,000, but it does mean that you are prepared to engage others on a business level. And by definition, this would mean you are prepared to exchange money, goods, or services for your music.

Too often, I see musicians short-changing themselves by giving all of their music away free and receiving absolutely nothing in return. It's important to establish value (perceived worth) for your work if you plan on making a career path in the music industry. You don't always need a monetary exchange either. By definition, you can exchange goods or services for your music, but the point is that in business their is an exchange.

NO EXCHANGE = NO BUSINESS

All that being said, I encourage all my FP friends to start making a conscious effort to handle your business!

Free Resources:

How To Get In The Music Industry

Must Haves For Better Word Of Mouth Marketing

Understanding Music Publishing: The Basics

How To Get Customers For Business

Reasons Why People Fail In The Music Business

How To Sell Music Online

How To Increase Beat Sales Online

10 Steps To Start A Record Label/Music Production Company

The music business is a lot more complicated than just deciding you want money for your music rather than giving it away.

In order to be successful in the music business, you need to understand the basics of how the business works. This means you'll need to understand the basic principles of:

* Copyrights
* Songwriting
* Publishing
* Licensing (Mechanical, Synchronization, Performance)
* Recording Contracts
* Royalties

The music business is laden with pitfalls and trap doors. It eats up those who don't know how to spot a pitfall or a trap door. You should learn how to spot them.

Recommended reading for an absolute beginner:

The Music Business (Explained In Plain English)
by David Naggar, Esq.

Last edited:
Hey friends i have some ideas about starting a new business, create a general plan first then take inventory of what you already have and then make your second list, write down some anticipated cost, Take your totals to the bank or some investors to secure your startup capital, check your competition, create a marketing plan, get insurance and finally put your plan into action.

Last edited:
Hey friends i have some ideas about starting a new business, create a general plan first then take inventory of what you already have and then make your second list, write down some anticipated cost, Take your totals to the bank or some investors to secure your startup capital, check your competition, create a marketing plan, get insurance and finally put your plan into action.

^ that's the norm for any business... High school business class basics

Last edited:
Back