How to get people to visit your beat selling website? SEO?

CM03

Hello,

I have website to sell my beats.

The problem is I get about 4 visitors a week. I have a friend who runs a very successful online website and he informed me that SEO services for your website by 3rd party companies are basically a waste of money because you can do it yourself with a plugin like Yoast. I started working with this plugin and found that in terms of SEO, you are supposed to pump out content and appropriately embedd the relevant keywords to help your rankings. However my website is JUST there to sell my beats, not to pump out articles and "content."

I followed the other instructions of the plugin and got my page titles, permalinks etc. up to par but I am nowhere to be found on Google rankings... nowhere on the first 10 pages. How are these other websites ranking so high on Google if they have no articles to embedd keywords? How do you guys get people to head over to your site? With 4 visitors a week, I won't be selling beats anytime soon. :(

Last edited:
SEO is a waste of time for beginners. There's no way you'll be able to compete with the number 1 ranked websites on the basis of you having a "beats" page...

Also, you won't sell beats, if that's all your website is offering.

Create relevant content, and don't spam "keywords" in your content just so you can try and rank higher - I believe Google actually ranks you down for repetition of keywords nowadays (though I'm not 100% sure, but that's what a friend in the SEM field has told me recently).

Google's algorithms are very smart and so the "fake it until you make it" approach won't work anymore. Everything has to be organic (real).

The issue is, is that everyone comes in to music (or any business, really) without thinking that they need to work to get somewhere. And yes, in the beginning, that requires doing things you don't like doing (down the line, when you have made a bit of money, you can hire other people to do those jobs for you).

So, if you don't like writing - get used to it and JUST DO IT.

Now, it's a case of what content you should write. You understand the people you want to attract more than anyone (and if not, check out my blog post here for some advice on how to figure out your audience.) so you should know what would be relevant to them. Skills you are already good at will make good articles. Articles on mixing, the best recording set up, etc. would be a good start.

Also, before you do any of this... Start building a mailing list. Have it set up ready for when you do start getting traffic.

And another thing, a way to improve your ranking is to get genuine backlinks. In the future, you can perhaps submit your articles to other blogs (that accept them) to try and help build your backlinks.

Cheers,
Jordan

P.S. your friend is wrong. You won't be able to achieve the same results with your current (beginners) skill set. SEO is an art form in itself, the people you pay (the good ones, not the ones who are trying to make a quick buck) to carry out SEO research and consultancy, usually have many years of experience with a very good understanding of what will work and what won't. Even with all the information on the internet, it's hard to be good at it.

Although, you might get lucky, and you might rank well for something with low competition or where your competition has little to no understanding of what SEO is... And in those cases, you may be able to rank first with ease.

Last edited:
Promote, promote, promote.

Build an email list, focus on 1-2 social profiles and point those people back to your site. As stated above, having a beats pages won't draw in much traffic on it's own. It wont rank high in search engines unless you have bigger sites pointing to it (directing their audience to your site).

SEO is a waste of time for beginners. There's no way you'll be able to compete with the number 1 ranked websites on the basis of you having a "beats" page...

Create relevant content, and don't spam "keywords" in your content just so you can try and rank higher - I believe Google actually ranks you down for repetition of keywords nowadays (though I'm not 100% sure, but that's what a friend in the SEM field has told me recently).

Google's algorithms are very smart and so the "fake it until you make it" approach won't work anymore. Everything has to be organic (real).

The issue is, is that everyone comes in to music (or any business, really) without thinking that they need to work to get somewhere. And yes, in the beginning, that requires doing things you don't like doing (down the line, when you have made a bit of money, you can hire other people to do those jobs for you).

Now, it's a case of what content you should write. You understand the people you want to attract more than anyone (and if not, check out my blog post here for some advice on how to figure out your audience.) so you should know what would be relevant to them. Skills you are already good at will make good articles. Articles on mixing, the best recording set up, etc. would be a good start.

Also, before you do any of this... Start building a mailing list. Have it set up ready for when you do start getting traffic.

And another thing, a way to improve your ranking is to get genuine backlinks. In the future, you can perhaps submit your articles to other blogs (that accept them) to try and help build your backlinks.

Cheers,
Jordan

P.S. your friend is wrong. You won't be able to achieve the same results with your current (beginners) skill set. SEO is an art form in itself, the people you pay (the good ones, not the ones who are trying to make a quick buck) to carry out SEO research and consultancy, usually have many years of experience with a very good understanding of what will work and what won't. Even with all the information on the internet, it's hard to be good at it.

Although, you might get lucky, and you might rank well for something with low competition or where your competition has little to no understanding of what SEO is... And in those cases, you may be able to rank first with ease.

Haha thanks. I'm actually a pretty good writer. I suppose I'll have to give it a go!

I would build a social media following if you dont have one already. Soundcloud would be a great place to promote your beats and website.

Cheers,
Jordan

Although there are some good points in here. I have to disagree that SEO is a waste of time for beginners. Now, it isn't something that you'll want to spend all of your time on necessarily but if you're willing to do some keyword research and learn the SEO game then you could potentially secure some keywords that will drive traffic.

I say this because I was a COMPLETE beginner when I started my site. I simply followed the directions on YOAST and 3 years later we rank for dozens of keywords and are arguably one of the highest volume web-based custom music agencies. With that said... It isn't a beat site, but still. I was a beginner and I'm glad someone didn't tell me "not to do it".

For the instrumental marketplace I have (separate site) we've had a lot of luck with YouTube. I recommend really digging deep into maximizing your YouTube efforts. Stuff like: keyword research, secret tags, thumbnails, dense descriptions, strategic keywords, etc. The info is out there and it's free!

Best of luck!

:)

Back