How to get to majors?

Purple Wizard

I've always been trying to get my beats to majors but can't seem to be finding any emails or contact information. How do you guys who had a placement do it? through theyr'e management?

Please reply because this is probably what many people get stuck with..My beats sound good and all so that's not the problem.

Honestly, grind it out. What more can be said? You're beats could be utterly amazing, that entitles you to NOTHING. You have to slowly build exposure and connections. The majors are a friend of a friend of a friend away. You have to make the right product and meet the right people. People who get placement are the people who build connections.

What everyone else said. Even if you do get Mike Carens (Google him) email itll be underneath a lot of other crap and may never even get opened. Go to where they are, communicate via social networks. Work with as many artist as you can making FULL projects not let me get 1 beat here and there.

I've recently had 3 A&Rs follow me (Shady Records, Interscope & Bad Boy) on twitter. Why? Well I tweet a lot about the business of the music industry, tips on mixing to help producers, marketing tips, tips for artists and a whole sort of things as well as my own music. I just promote a lot and talk to people all over the globe literally. That being said, if your music is that good they will find you. Stop searching for them. What can they offer you that you can make for yourself? Getting signed? & getting almost 75% of your publishing stolen from you? If thats what you want then by all means go ahead.

---------- Post added at 01:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 PM ----------

OH I forgot. lol Network! I recently got the opp. to engineer for one of Lil Scrappys Artist and he ended up using one of MY BEATS for that session because I knew someone. He needed studio time.

Another time I collected an email from an artist on twitter & emailed and he hit me back & loved my work. He used one of my records for a mixtape he did. This was an artist in Zaytovens Camp. He has even shouted me out in the same sentence as Zaytoven so that meant a lot to me. lol

Another instance (my favorite) was when I heard my record in itunes and had no idea! The arist name is Ice Berg, reallly big artist in Florida, major in Miami. he's done work with ace hood, trick daddy, billy blue, brisco etc...
Any way I was going through his mixtape (2 months after it dropped, I had never finished listening to it) and I heard a sample I had chopped up before. As I was listening i was like wow i sampled this the same way...Then I heard my Tag.. I was like oOOOOO SHh********!!!!!! hahha. .lol i was so excited, I had no idea. I never recieved a notification. & it was an older tag i never used that often. I sent him that beat full(idk why) along time ago and never heard from him. Just send & forget.

I contacted him & he was like whats good, send me more material. So ive connected w/ him. Just have to put in that work.

if you end up meeting someone who knows someone, get a reference, call/email the reference. if they answer but cant work with you, ask for another reference. (Repeat until satisfied)
another good technique that i've read is send a good old fashioned letter in the mail. have your information, why your sending it. (throw in a $100 bill).. there's also websites for finding managers. (a huge directory) i cant remember the site, but i'll edit this when i find them.

def. use social networking, build up a fan base, get your music noticed. if they see that people love what you do they will be more likely to agree to use your music.

just day by day, keep researching non stop. overtime it all builds up. Eventually you'll end up meeting the right people if you don't give up.

My 2 cents is... don't chase major placements! You will waste alot of time and energy that can be put into your music vs. chasing placements. You are better off creating your own movement/brand and working with indie artists on the rise. Majors these days are simply on the distribution side of things anyhow... so your more likely to link up with an up and coming artists who gets a publishing or distribution deal vs. sending beats to Lil Wayne or Drake, etc.

There is no right way of doing anything, I just know form personal experience that there are better uses of time. Also look at iStandard Producers memberships are pretty cheap and you can submit to many major and indie opportunities.

Keep in mind there are on average of 1-10,000 beat submissions for projects, singles, and albums. Join the race and good luck!

Back